The Myford sale

I have spoken to Myford this morning (Thursday 14th July) and it seems that RGD have gone in and bought the entire spares and accessory
stock.
No complete machines and none of the manufacturing plant.
Anyone aiming to go for a stock up on spares at the clearance sale is going to be dissapointed.
I hope they put this up on the web site soon to prevent wasted trips.
The website still says "all spares" available, not so now I think.
Richie

Also spoke to them today. They had no choice about selling to RDG, the liquidators have the only and final say about things. The office folks are less than happy about selling the stock to RDG due to their past practice of selling fake Myford stuff. Oh well.
The plant/machinery and any un-sold second hand machines are still available, but spares are all spoken for.
Mark Rand RTFM

And what happens about guarantee, after sales service, consumer protection etc for these machines if Myford are no longer in business?
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

ISTR that when working at a sunrise company (which all-too-quickly became a sunset company) that although the liquidators are typically appointed from a nationally-known accountancy firm, that the individual liquidators are acting as sole traders themselves with unlimited liability in their roles as liquidators.
Therefore, under the various consumer protection laws, the liquidators will be personally responsible to you for any goods sold to you as a consumer.
If the business is sold, and it you buy from the successors, then you'll rely on the normal processes.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:55:17 +0100, Alan Dawes

I would imagine that you would be buying as seen and there will be no guarantee given.
My conversation this morning with Myford leads me to think that there will be no more from the company as we know it now, they had some hope before all the spares and accessories went in one lump to RGD.
Some of the plant was also heading onto lorries this morning but I don't know who bought that.
I'm sorry to see them go, I bought my 254s in 1986'ish I wonder who will get the original drawings for all the lathes etc?
Will the manufacturing rights be sold as well... who knows, time will tell all I suppose.
Rich

I have just got back from Myfords, spoke to Chris Moore and RDG who are there in force clearing out.
Bottom line is that RDG have bought all the spares and anything other than machines that is not bolted down, this includes the contents of the fitting shop, inspection and other departments. They have also bought all the jigs and fixtures.
They have also purchased the drawings and intellectual rights of the company.
They have bought / rented another 3,000 sq ft warehouse to put all this in and will be running this as a separate company. They will still sell the Indian imports but as imports and run a two tiered system to supply all needs. This direct face to face from RDG this morning.
What is on sale to the public are all the Myford lathes, millers and a few drilling machines plus the contents of the shop and secondhand accessories, vises, boxes of cutters odd collets etc.
The items are all priced up as of 12:30 today but not the machines but I was told these will be priced up by tomorrow.
The bits and pieces are reasonable 30 for a 6" vise, used and not pristine, indexers from 30, various chucks etc.
On the machines there are quite few new lathes and some early ML7's and S7's that are untouched as bought in for refurb.
Only pricing I saw was for a couple of ML10's at 2,322 and 2,554 each and a VMA attachment for a series 7 at 2,000
Two shots of the machines for sale.
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/myfordsale1.jpg
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/myfordsale2.jpg
Two shots of what is on offer to the public.
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/myfordsale3.jpg
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/myfordsale4.jpg
I was told by the asset sales guy that machines will be sold at market value as there are the last to be produced and sold, there will be no more, his words, not mine.
There are some machines included in the plant like modified Myfords and couple of tatty 254's and one Mini-Kop and a couple of Mg12 grinders. You will have to see one of the asset guys over these to get a price.
All the good plant has already been sold. [ Hence my trip today <g> ]
John S.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:30:43 -0700 (PDT), John S

So does that mean that you now have a clapped out Churchill grinder and a gear slotter?
Decided not to go, since the Mytholmroyd lads had got all the useful stuff.
Mark Rand RTFM
# Only pricing I saw was for a couple of ML10's at 2,322 and 2,554 # each and a VMA attachment for a series 7 at 2,000
No bargains to be had, then (but only punters to be had?)?

Does this mean we'll see Myford clones produced under license elsewhere (India/China)?

matter of time I would expect, with quality to match the price. Geoff

In the US, South Bend Lathe landed in the hands of an importer who apparently hopes to retain at least some of the quality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend_Lathe_Works They ain't cheap: http://www.grizzly.com/products/South-Bend-10K-28-Bench-Lathe/SB1002
That's the Light Ten. The original South Bend was charging ~$12,000 for a Heavy Ten (10" diameter, 5C collets) like mine before they folded.
The only feedback I've seen was about a defective Woodstock International lathe that they apologized for and gladly replaced. But it had slipped in unnoticed.
China can make a very good product if the importer keeps close watch on their quality control. I see that with OEM components for medical equipment etc.
So can India.
jsw
On Jul 18, 12:56pm, David Billington

The unsold machines appear to be here
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/myfordlathes/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562
Mark wrote:

At those prices I wonder how many will end up as scrap? Best offers at a quarter of the price?
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

For cheaper prices you'll have to wait until Myfords are "made in China, finished in your own home" :-)
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

That last bit is presumably a criticism of Chester, but not of Warco, for substantially the same machines?
    --And now that you mention it, just how healthy are the other UK manufacturers of machine tools? Is Warco doing well? How about Boxford? Hope Myford isn't the tip of the iceberg..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Boxford? Hope

Welding!
Warco is an importer / reseller, albeit rather better than most. At one time Roger Warren had a QA setup overseas to check that his imports were up to standard.
AWEM

I think this is what they cost. I had a look at new prices, to get a
baseline for a used myford, and yes, they are/were multi thousands. I