OT - Printer Repair

One of the happier aspects of owning a workshop with machinery and lots of bits and pieces, etc etc is that you can do repairs that the average guy in the street can't get to first base on.

Hewlett Packard make some very nice A3 laser printers, and we have a small selection (they ain't small, they are nearly a cubic metre!) We can laser print an A0 drawing legibly onto A3 paper with these printers, they are really good.

One is a nearly new one and the others are cheapos, bought for spares.

They all have the same fault which sends them to the skip: the paper feed path gets distorted by damage to the rear door locating pins.

To access the paper path and clear out jams, the whole rear panel of the printer hinges down, and carries with it the paper diverter that directs the printed page to one of two destination trays. As this whole assembly is part of the paper path it has to line up pretty accurately with the main body of the printer and the incoming and outgoing paper paths.

HP put two tapered plastic pins into the diverter body moulding, and they locate into two holes in the main steel chassis of the printer. The diverter assembly is doweled onto the back door. There is a lot of slack in the back door pivots.

So, to clear a jam, you open the door, the door drops down a tad, you clear the paper and close the door, except that the pins take the brunt of aligning things up again as it closes, and eventually being plastic they break.

New diverter is £80 plus VAT and carriage.

To fix it permanently, two nylon spacers off the shelf at the factory, five minutes work trimming the remains of the plastic pin support flange, and two accurately positioned M5 clearance holes in the rear door to take a couple of stainless pan pozi screws to hold the spacers. Reassembly is about 10 minutes.

Job done for less than a fiver.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

And I am sure a great sense of satisfaction ;-)

Just look at what those printers will give you when they truly reach the end of their lives. -

Lengths of ground steel bar Optically flat glass Numerous lenses Myriads of springs of a variety of types Trillions of screws Cooling fans for homemade CNC cabinets Multiple gear trains All the thin zintec sheet you will ever need for little brackets etc When dismantled enough plastic to fill a skip

And black hands from the toner!

I took a look at

there is a man who really gets to the nitty gritty o making things on the cheap. The Indexing head is not the prettiest in the world but I like his use big end bolts for the spindles. The ultimate re-cycling IMHO.

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Which model is that? I have an 8000DN off ebay; cheap, fast, A3, duplex, built like a tank and as you say pretty good for drawings (may need to add some memory). But mine sometimes creases (without jamming). I have the service manual off the web (400 pages as I recall) but havn't yet got up the courage to look inside, other than checking the (removable) duplexer.

Reply to
newshound

5Si

Same drum and toner as yours, probably the same internals. A lot of parts are listed for both models, you'll probably find the 8000 is the successor to the

5Si.

The paper path is fairly tortuous, but if you have the A3 magazine on the bottom and A4 above, that helps.

The opening rear door that takes the paper diverter assy is the bit we had trouble with, it was hanging down on one side, and the paper wasn't guided correctly through to the next roller set.