Parting tool recommendations

Get yourself a Kennametal-Hertel parting off tool holder blade with inserts from J&L Industrial.

They sometimes do a special deal, ten inserts and the tool at a discounted price.

I tried their a cheapo interstate from J & L first , had to send it back because the thing kept flicking its inserts out then, split open on me.

So insist on Hertel.

The holder for the tool was quite expensive so I made my own .

Shown here

I do squirt coolant onto it as I'm the parting off though.

ALL THE BEST.......MARK

Reply to
mark

I use the Kennametal A2 part off blade and holders from J&L with 3mm wide straight end tips for parting off 50mm dia 303 stainless, and 4mm wide CD5 for 50mm dia 316. I find the straight end tip helps prevent wander. Tool is mounted upside down in the EMI-MEC Lathe. I part off fairly slow so I get a finish both sides of the job that is an acceptable finish for the shopfitting trade, mainly the large washers you see holding the large glass plates to shop fronts and stairs. An average of 50-60 part off's until the tip dulls and the finish deteriates. The tips are still ok for other work, so are then used in the Colchester manual lathe. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Yes, all the same rules apply.

I use a Q-cut in the rear toolpost of my Myford S7.

Wilfrid Underwood

Reply to
Wilfrid Underwood