Anthony parting tool?

Hi all,

I was talking to a friend of mine who's been a machinist for 60 years, and he mentioned that at one time in his career he had a pivoting parting tool called an "Anthony parting tool". He thought Anthony was the manufacturer but wasn't sure. It sounded interesting but a Google/Ebay search turned up nothing.

I don't have a burning desire for another parting tool; it just sounded like it would be fun to see one. Anybody have any info or know of a web site with info?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Peter,

If it's the same tool I remember, it's not an Anthony----and the proper name escapes me at the moment, but I'll post it when this tired, old mind recalls the proper one. I witnessed one on a turret lathe that was parting a grade of heat treatable stainless, about 3-1/2" diameter stock. You've never witnessed parting until you've seen the likes of that tool. High surface speed, low feed, and lots of positive rake. It was nothing short of magic.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Hi Harold,

Thanks! I had a suspicion you might respond to this.

Anyhow, my friend Oscar said it was pretty neat piece. If your tired old mind recalls it, my tired middle aged mind would love to know the name.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

While I'm trying to recall the name (it's a fairly long one), I do recall one of its features. It used an insert that had a V at the bottom, which fit in a grooved holder accordingly. The insert was a brazed carbide construction, maybe 7/16" tall, no more. The pivoting holder was slightly narrower than the tool, and provided some serious support. It will all come back to me, it's just a matter of time.

You might ask friend Oscar if he recalls if that sounds like the same tool. There were likely several on the market.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ok, Peter. I finally had an "Ah ha" moment.

The parting tool I had in mind is a Manchester.

I never used it, for I was never assigned to the turret lathes, but watching it part that stainless was very instrumental in helping me form my opinion of positive rake applied at extreme rates, especially in stainless. It tends to defy everything you're taught about machining, but it's one of the rules, when broken properly, pays handsome dividends.

I have no clue if it is still on the market, but it might be interesting to hear anything you may discover.

Hope this helps----

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Manchester Company is indeed still around. I use their Separator system on the large CNC lathe. It has awesome capabilities for cutoff up to three inch stock. I got a smaller one for the Hardinge CHNC lathe. This company makes a whole line of cutoff tools.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's it. He described the same grooved holder with the same features.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Cool! Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:45b212be$0$17402$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Thanks, Karl. You're confirming what I recall------I've never seen a parting tool that worked as well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I checked out ebay and some sites that showed the Manchester tool and found them interesting. However, my friend described a pivoting part of this tool that released somehow to provide relief in a scenario that normally would result in the parting tool being dragged under the work piece centerline.

Am I not seeing these things clearly, or is there older version that had this feature?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I'm at a complete loss, Peter. I never used the tool in question, just witnessed it in operation, and was duly impressed. Could be Karl could answer.

For the record, I have never used commercial parting tools. Due to the size of work I did, and the nature of my tool holder, I've always hand ground parting tools from 1/2" HSS blanks.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I've not heard of anything along this line. The Manchester tool is schmuck resistant - a fairly inexpensive piece will come off the main holder when you bind or hit it.

The real key to Manchester is the insert design. It peels off a small thick chip that flows right out of the cut with flood coolant. Seems to be relatively low cutting force involved as there's less trouble with part deflection. The hugely faster feeds and speeds may have something to do with it. Gouging, breaking off the cutting tool, chip packing, etc. just don't happen. It is a very expensive tool - you gets what you pays for.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a couple of cutoff tools marked "Wanjo" that have an odd geometry that might be a simialr idea. They have a bar that fits into a standard tool holder like an Aloris, and then there is a wide arc that goes up and then down again with the cutoff blade clamped out at the end of the arc. It's cut in such a fashion that if the tool flexes, it tends to move the cutting edge back much more than down. I've actually never tried them, but I was told soem time ago that they were much less prone to chatter than normal ones, although I can't see how. I think they went out of business about 10 or 15 years ago.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Hmmm.. I may be forced to find one then.

Thanks for the info guys.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I'm at a loss, Peter. Not having ever used the Manchester, only watching it work as a co-worker ran the turret lathe, I'm not aware of a lot of its features. I don't have a clue if it had the one you speak of, but I recall all too well the extreme amount of positive rake that was recommended for parting the stainless in question.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos