pre spring clean challenge

Just some light hearted nonsense, but I know J.S claims to have not seen the workshop floor for a while ;)

But this week I think I may have a beater! Anyone do any better?

All this from drilling 1 1/2" dia holes through 360 pieces of 2" sq ally.

Not Model engineering but if your interested this is the job creating the mess.

Wayne.. (who must have a tidy up!)

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

LOL On the cushion of swarf, at the front of the machine it's only about 6" but upto table height to the right.

I only went over to the machine every 5 mins or so to put a new billet in the vise, the machine was drilling on powerfeed.

The cnc was doing the milling while the bridgy clone was drilling.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Outside the door? Maybe he has long arms

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Caption: "Remember, a slipped decimal point in your CNC program can spell disaster!"

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Na, even better is an incorrect sign on rapid that should of gone -x where there was a huge jones and shipman 4th axis on +x, all at

30metres/min too! Not me I might add, but I was there to see the mess. ripped a cat40 toolholder right out of the spindle.

Brand new bridgeport VMC1000 too. They just called Bridgeport and told em their new machine was inaccurate!

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Yep...definitely would lose a bit of accuracy after a crash like that...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I also need a tidy up, but not because of excess swarf, I can't compete with that!

I can offer this as a swarf saver, though. I needed to bore a 5.25" hole in a piece of 6" bar, took the first bit out with a 3.25" rotabroach cutter:-

Probably not much quicker than putting a big drill through & boring it, but a *lot* less swarf. The cutter is a carbide tipped one which has been retipped, IMHO rather amateurishly, a better one or decent HSS job would probably have been a fair bit quicker.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Yes I have a few rotabroach cutters than I use for certain jobs. They certainly work very well.

This job is crying our for a good Sandvik U-Drill which with the right tips would chip up the swarf. Then I'd do it on the CNC. Next time maybe as they are very expensive. The drill I'm using was originally a custom step drill thrown out at the local cutter grinders, I got them to regrind it with a tip very thinned out so I can go through with just the one drill. I just turned the No4 morse taper to 3/4" parallel and hold it in a collet. It's messy but a time saver.

I've filled two of those 1 ton sand & gravel bags in the last week :o Probably about 200kilo's, but I'll find out next week when I take it to the scrappy.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Yep and the buggers honed the spindle taper to hide the bruising caused by the toolholder being ripped out.

Bridgeport eventually sent the guy that built the machine down to look at it. I do recall them saying they new it had been crashed but couldn't prove it. It went back to Leicester for a rebuild. That company still has the machine, so it must of been ok in the end!

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

.... er .... what scale model are you building?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

14" to the foot.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Wayne, I've made a few of these up out of scrap drills

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

14" to the foot.

that's probably the shoe size needed to stamp all that swarf down....

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Just the thing for testing the wimpy Bridgeport downfeed!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

None but I did state that! When I have time (Rarely these days) I like to build IC engines. But maybe being involved with model engines as a living has put me off for a bit. Oneday I'll be motivated again.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon