Probably a dumb question...

Please forgive a dumb question; why are the insides of machine tools painted? Also, what sort of paint survives continual immersion in
oils?
Thanks,
K.
"Kraehe" wrote in message

The only dumb questions are those you don't ask - if you don't ask you won't find out !
Yes is the answer. Even the insides of lathe headstock castings are painted - or certainly are in the case of Colchester lathes. As for the type of paint I can't answer. Obviously a bit more durable than your average Dulux Gloss - no doubt someone will be along soon with a definitive answer.
AWEM
"Kraehe" wrote in message

....and as for why, in the case of casting containing oil, I suspect to seal them. It also makes seeing inside much easier!
AWEM
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:31:36 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Glyptal paint has been used quite a lot for the purpose. It's available from Caswell.
http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/Repair_Products/glyptal.htm
Mark Rand RTFM
Glyptal 1201 looks to be special stuff indeed. Also, it is available in Australia. :-)
It seems only available in red, however. I have seen the inside of headstocks and aprons painted in yellow and white before. Do you know who makes these other colours please? (Esp. interested in the white).
Thanks,
K.
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:25:04 +0000, Mark Rand

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:06:34 +1000, Kraehe
Thank you. That all makes sense. It does seem that the right paint would be absolutely essential; I can imagine peeling sections breaking off and blocking oil passages, sticking in bearings, etc.
K.
On Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:06:34 AM UTC, Kraehe wrote:

You can always use Hammerite, it comes in many colours and if you put two or three coats on it is fairly hard wearing. And it dosen't need a primer!
Another paint I've used in the past on machinery with success is Tractol paint but it dosen't appear to be so readily available now.
John H
John H wrote:

We used to have tins of this stuff at work for all sorts of machine painting. The results always seemed highly resistant to cutting fluids/oils etc. http://www.trimite.com/paints/ Q50 synthetic Bob
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info and links.
Regards,
K.
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:28:04 +0000, Bob Minchin

painted? Also, what sort of paint survives continual immersion in oils? Thanks, K.

Interesting thread. I just bought a second CNC vertical Interact machining centre, and half the paint is missing on the inside of the work area cabinets. I comparison to my other identical model, it makes it look very drab. It really annoyed me, to the point I phoned Bridgeport's up, and was advised they used Trimite paint, as mentioned in another post. So I will have the machine re painted inside. It makes the work area lighter, and more presentable to the eye if nothing else !! Bob P
On 03/24/13 22:32, John H wrote:

Hammerite isn't what it used to be !. It used to be Xylene based, with special thinners, but according to their sales dept, it's now oil based and more like the old Humbrol model paints. Something to do with "removal of harmfull substances" bs.
I bought an aerosol can around a year ago and it took a day to flash off and dry to the touch. A pale shadow of its former self :-(...
Regards,
Chris