Raising blocks

Good day Gents.

Do any of you know of a source for raising blocks to suit a Myford ML7? RDG used to have them but are out of stock.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Chronos do them about half way down the following page

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

RDG have restocked their Myford raising blocks so I bought a pair, but I am puzzled by their construction. At the top of the bolt holes is a smooth bore steel sleeve with a hexagon head set in rubber inserted in the block , however the thread lower down the hole is cut directly into the cast iron. If the rubber is meant to be a vibration damper why does the hold down bolt engage directly into the iron block? Perhaps I have misunderstood the function, so I hope someone here can correct me.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

The rubber ring is to seal the block onto the swarf tray so that coolant does not leak! Do you have a swarf/coolant tray? The normal fitting is as follows: The swarf/coolant tray is bolted tot the bench/stand with studs or threaded rod leaving about 1 inch projecting above sleeve (which should be in approx mid adjustment position). The lathe is then lowered onto the studs followed by nuts and washers to secure the bed. The lathe should be initially leveled with an ordinary builders spirit level. If you have, or have access to, a precision level the bed can then be to eliminate any twist in the bed. If a precision level is not available then you will have to revert to turning tests to achieve parallel turning. Since you do not mention the studs I presume that they are not supplied. The Myford ones are only lonh enough for use with a Myford stand, if you mounting on a wooden bench you will need 4 lengths of 5/16 BSF studding long enough: to pass through the bench + 1inch + the height of the blocks with the adjusters in mid position + the 1 inch mentioned above.

You will also need 8 x 5/16 BSF full nuts, 8 ordinary 1/4 inch washers and 4 large washers ("penny washers", "maintenance washers" "mud guard washers"). Please check the thread inside the adjusting sleeve! The Myford ones are definately 5/16 BSF (I have just checked!)

Hope this helps Regards Brian

Reply to
brian

Many thanks Brian, you have made sense of it for me. I do have a drip tray under the lathe, but I don't have the lathe bolted down because I need to move it occaisionally by sliding the lot across my bench top. Levelling the lathe is something I have intended to do since I bought it six years ago, but so far I haven't even tested its alignment, though I did once fit centres to the headstock and tailstock and found that they met perfectly.

For the moment I shall fit the raising blocks between lathe and tray. Apart from raising the lathe to a more comfortable height, I want to increase the clearance between the raised edge of the tray and the back of my hand. The studs incidentally were supplied with the blocks.

Regards, Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin