Bantam Bearing Adjustment

Hi,
I'm looking for some guidance with the adjustment of new Gamet bearings in a Mk1 Colchester Bantam 1600.
The manual states that you should pre-load the bearings to drop the
spindle endfloat to 1/10th of a thou or less "whilst THE SPINDLE REMAINS FREE TO BE TURNED BY HAND".
I'm a bit concerned that "FREE TO BE TURNED BY HAND" is a bit vague and subjective. I've tightened the spindle up and it can be turned by hand, although some effort is required. Have I tightened them too much?
Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.
Regards, Paul
--
Mr Crane
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 06:03:31 -0600, Mr Crane

Paul I do not have a Bantam but after reassembly of my head I too was in a dilemma about how to adjust the taper rollers. After some searching on the web decided that running temperature was the ultimate test. If the bearings stabilise at about 60 deg C after say 30 minutes of high speed running that appears to be ok. I find that turning the spindle out of gear is just possible (turning on the spindle mounted change wheel). Another suggestion was that the chuck should only turn about 1.5 revs after being spun by hand and let go. I found this a very arbitrary method and ignored it. Too much dependence on chuck inertia and my ability to spin. My machine is now set as above and is giving great results. Main problem on adjustment was that if I made too tight I had to "pull" the bearings slightly rather than just back off the nuts. Inner is tight on the spindle. Other thing to bear in mind is DO NOT OVERGREASE the bearings. I know another variable statement!
Best of luck
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Richard Edwards Wrote:

Good idea - will do that!
Cheers, Paul
--
Mr Crane
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 06:03:31 -0600, Mr Crane

Did you take out a small mortgage to buy the bearings? I've heard that the Gamet prices are enough to give apoplexy <G>.
Peter
Peter Neill Wrote:

:D
The first quote I got was for almost 1000 :eek: :eek: :eek:
:censored: me! How much?
Shopping around dropped this to 470ish. Then I happened to mention what I needed to my neighbour who happens to be a tool maker and who works for a company that makes bearings. Through him, I got them for 250 inc VAT :)
Not cheap, but the lathe is in very good condition and, I felt, well worth spending the money on. I make small drive sets for model powerboats, so I need the machine as accurate as possible.
Paul
--
Mr Crane

If you must post usenet messages from that bloody rcgroups website. Please avoid the use of forum commands. It's annoying and rude.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:50:46 +0000, Mark Rand

Mark, Just use *@rcgroups* as a filter and they are no more.
If they are too lazy to find Usenet them I'm too lazy to read the whining.
Mark Rand Wrote: >

Explain yourself: what is the problem?
--
Mr Crane

Things like Forum smileys " : eek : : eek : : eek : "
Are bloody irritating.
Try getting a news reader and an accounts with a news server instead of using a commercial web based leach that claims copyright on other people's writings.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 21:48:00 +0000, Mark Rand

Mark -
Don't waste your breath - we're dealing with the great unwashed here...
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree Wrote: >

Well, that was helpful. Thanks for contributing.
Got anything useful to say about my bearings then?
--
Mr Crane
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 04:29:26 -0600, Mr Crane

You're most welcome.

Looks like Richard already has it covered.
Regards, Tony
Perhaps it's time we started putting a Copyright notice in our Sig's:
--
This post is copyright. It is published to the UseNet Forum as part of the
normal sharing of ideas, solutions and general information. As such

Or, This post is copyright to the author and the newsgroup rec.crafts.model.engineering. Note the nword engineering. this does not cover Google, Yahoo or any groups that rely on rubber bands for motive power.
.

Paul, after all the banter I'm not sure if this is still a live question or if you are now sorted. I have a couple of thoughts (two page diatribe really) of how we used to set shafts up when I was younger. As it is quite long and I'm not sure if anyone else would be interested I won't post it but will happily e-mail to you if you still need some ideas.
Regards
Keith
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 03:11:42 -0800 (PST), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I would be interested in receiving a copy Thanks
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Wrote: >

Keith,
I would be very interested to read this - I'm keen to learn as much as I can!
email is: paulw-at-plhw-dot-net
Many thanks, Paul
--
Mr Crane

Paul/Richard
Said diatribe should now be in your mail box. Hope it helps.
Regards
Keith
jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Wrote:

I've just read this through and it's a goldmine of useful info.
Anyone who is faced with adjusting a set of roller bearings would do well to read this through.
Many thanks Keith!
Paul
--
Mr Crane