Recommendation for small cylindrical grinder

One of the things I have to make on a semi regular basis is valve seat cutting pilots for cylinder head work. They are about 6" long, 3/8" upper diameter
which the seat cutter runs on and the bottom 2" is the diameter of the valve guide i/d - usually between 5mm and 8mm for most modern heads. In a perfect world they are hardened and ground but most of the time I use 3/8" silver steel and just turn the bottom diameter in the lathe and use them soft. They don't last so long but do the job ok.
I'm thinking of moving to a different seat cutting system which uses some daft pilot diameter of 0.386" if I remember right - anyway, nothing you can get pre ground silver steel in. Each size new is 80 which is equally daft so the only option is make them out of 10mm silver steel, harden and grind to size.
I quite fancy a small cylindrical grinder anyway but the budget doesn't run to much. A few hundred quid would be nice but maybe a bit more if I have to. Is there anything around that might do the job to a decent accuracy (a tenth or two), not take up too much space, ideally be single phase but I can run it off the phase converter if need be and not cost too much? It would only have to handle tiny items like these.
One option is to mount a grinding wheel on the lathe but the cross slide screw is pretty shagged anyway and even if it wasn't it's a fairly coarse pitch to be doing accurate grinding work on. I suppose I could make a fine pitch screw and nut but it would be hassle swapping that back and forth every time I wanted to do a grinding job.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

cutting
valve
perfect
steel
don't
daft
pre
only
run to

Is
or
off
screw
to be

and
wanted to

Dave,
Myford MG12 comes to mind - made over a large span of years in various configurations - tend to keep their value but should be able to get one under 1K
http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id !5
Jones & Shipman 1310 is another (I have the longer version of this (1300EUIR) and find it excellent - a lot of the tooling is interchangeable with the J&S 310 tool and cutter grinder)
http://www.douglas-machine-tools.co.uk/Machining/grinding.php
Both turn up on eBay occassionally and sometime fetch silly money, (both high & low)
Thinking about it you >>might<< get away with a J&S 310 tool and cutter grinder so long as you have the motorised head version
Regards,
AWEM
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:46:09 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

I've got pretty good results on my T&C grinder and surface grinder using just a 5C spin index & rotating by hand. Tedious for more than just the odd item, but cheap & doesn't take up much space, if you already have a suitable grinder. Infeed control on the T&C grinder is a bit coarse for some jobs, though.
Cheers
Tim
On 22 Oct 2004 13:25:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNoEmails (Dave Baker) wrote:

As other have said a Myford MG12 is ideal but they can fetch silly money. One on ebay at the moment, another on Ebay.com US for about $24,000 [ gulp ] Another choice is the smaller non hydraulic MG9 model. These often change hands for 300 up to 700 depending on condition, I paid 400 for a very nice one.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNoEmails (Dave Baker)said
< snip >

This is EXACTLY my current project!
Wanting to work metric and having an imperial m/c I have made a new Cross-slide screw and Pb Nut at 2mm pitch with a 75mm dia dial graduated at 0.01mm. It's finer feed than the old 10 tpi one but not that much of a hassel.
The grinding head part started life as a 5" bench grinder which I got from Machine Mart for 10 and is mounted on an angle plate which I can bolt to the back end of the cross-slide. I am now working on an internal grinding option having picked up a Picador spindle and a 3.5" pully at Donington complete with a chuck (all I need now is a small V belt - 550mm at most) - and that will be mounted on the front end of the cross-slide.
Just how accurate the finished kit will be is as yet indeterminate - but it has to be better than a turned finish.
JG
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. The MG12 and 1310 look about the right size and price. It'll all probably have to wait until I've moved house rather than end up with even more kit to transport.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)