Reference books?

Chaps,
I've been asked this by a mate, who's an astronomer/physicist type
bloke. At risk of opening a huge can of worms, I thought I'd pass it on
to them-wot-know (I think he asked me because he knows I own a lathe!):
"I have an engineering-y question for you. I'm being asked -
the fools! the fools! - to design stuff. Which is fine. But
in that, I'm having to specify things like bolt sizes,
materials etc. Now, I *could* work out everything from first
principles. But I don't want to. So, can you point me in
the direction of a useful book, or for preference, website
with useful numbers on it. The useful numbers what I
want to know are things like "if I have a bolt with this
pitch/diameter and material, it can take this much force
before it gives up" or "I have this cross-section of extruded (insert
material here), it will hold how much weight?"
The alternative is for me to actually learn how all this
flash simulation stuff works; but the above tables will
give me a rough feel for whether the computer is talking
rubbish or not..."
Any recommendations?
Reply to
Nigel Eaton
[snip]
Machinery's Handbook. If this astronomer/physicist type bloke works at a university someone in the engineering dept. should have one, or the library of course.
Tim
Reply to
Tim Auton
Try a book of logarithms, sin, cos & tan tables?
Reply to
Airy R. Bean