Repairing cast iron

The twin-vee pulley on my Myford is chipped, as per this picture:

I've got the bit that chipped off but my question(s) is(are):

a) Is it worth repairing at all? b) If I just filed down the sharp edges, would the imbalance make the pulley unuseable? c) Should I try to epoxy the chip back into place d) Should I get it welded?

As you can see from the picture there is a crack as well. A new pulley is =A360 from Myford and I'm inclined just to use the bigger vee and ignore the broken, smaller vee.

Reply to
Robin

What I can't quite see is how deep the missing portion goes. At a guess I would say that there's not enough missing to present the risk of the belt from flying off..though if that cracked bit came off, perhaps there would be.

I'd fix it by knocking up a metal disk that fits over the outer clutch plate(?), rather like a giant washer. This could be held in place very effectively with an epoxy glue, and the surface area provided would also allow you to glue the broken portion back, and secure the cracked bit. I doubt there'd be much pressure on the wall of the pulley, so I'd reckon 3mm steel would be more than thick enough, even 2mm should do. If you run into balance problems ( I wouldn't have thought so though ), simply compensate with a little plastic padding.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Probably not, but these are very common machines, I would think you have a good chance of a secondhand one -perhaps you could put an advert on the homeworkshop site

Sounds like a good plan, but your bound to need the other speeds at some time (aren't you?)

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I'm glad I posted this topic - I was contemplating turning a complete new assembly - don't know where I'd buy blanks that big from (probably use aluminium instead of cast iron anyway) or how I'd mount it in the chuck.

Question now remains, how do I make such a big washer? I suppose I'd need to mount a flat plate on some sort of arbour...

Reply to
Robin

complete

(probably

A chuck backplate blank for a larger lathe is a good source of iron to turn one from but if you don't get one from a request on

then I reckon 60 squid isn't too bad to avoid all that iron dust everywhere !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Already have an advert up there... do the pulleys have to be cast iron or would aluminium or mild steel be appropriate?

Reply to
Robin

Fairly easy. All you need is a lump of 3/4 ply or MDF, roughly sawn round to just bigger than the OD of the required washer. Pop the metal on the board ( might help to saw it roughly round too ), drill a hole through the centre and secure the two together with the biggest bolt you can find. The protruding thread will go in the chuck. Providing the plate is flat you ought to be able to pare out your washer ( OD first, obviously ). A slow speed and a fine feed is the order of the day. If required, some glue might help to stiffen the job on the board.

Measure up first though, to check if you have enough throw to spin the OD.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In message , Robin writes

The face plate? If possible, mark out and drill the holes where the 'big washer' is to be attached to the pulley and use those same holes to mount the blank on the face plate. But don't forget to have spacers behind in order to avoid any risk of scoring unwanted circles on the face plate.

Reply to
Mike H

Are you anywhere near Nottingham? That looks weldable to me.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Sadly not, I'm down near Crawley. When you say "weldable" do you mean attaching the chip or building up new metal? It would have to be remachined anyway and not sure if my friend's Myford will be big enough. I'll do some calculations.

Reply to
Robin

That would be OK for the pulley, but the part also forms the cone clutch. For that you want iron. Ally and bronze for a clutch combination would be a no-no for me.

Reply to
Charles