Scale head

Hi,
Any chance in reviving a chinese scale, when:
battery ok,
it blinks very fast, readings at random,
sometimes steady for a while,
zero, mm/inch, on/off are ok.
Looks like it does not pick up the scale properly, although readings
change when it is slid over it.
Was connected with a dead battery to the Shumatech DRO switched on
until half way this winter. Still worked well when battery was swapped
at that time.
Best regards, Dirk
Reply to
Dirk
Try contacting the guy who markets YADRO he has done a lot of work to understand these scales. Good Luck
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin
Can you get to the sensor and clean off any grease / oil / swarf that is clinging to it? This was a problem that the college I go to on Fridays (most of us over 60!) had some time ago with some new mills and lathes which caused the readings to be incorrect. I found out the hard way after 2 hours of machining relying on the DRO and ending up with a part that was under size.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Dawes
Op 4-3-2010, heeft Alan Dawes verondersteld :
Thanks guys, yes, its insides are here bare on the table and clean as a whistle. All looks good. The shiny black dot has a dull line in the middle. I think it's partly dead ;-) Dirk
Reply to
Dirk
Hello Dirk Curious to the temperature in your workshop, I have just fitted one and I've had similar problems, I've also had a problem with a Allen DRO caliper and it is to cold for them. Get them warm and they start to read Okay, Try getting a fan heater near one that is missreading but not to close you only need to raise the temperature slightly then retry. Cheers Colin.
Reply to
colin1544
Hi Colin, Temperature in the shack has been near zero for months. This morning I let warm up in the sun behind the glass. No effect. Dirk
Reply to
Dirk
I had a problem with the Z scale on my mill at the weekend. Numbers suddenly changed to something a lot different. (Feeds a Yadro) Found that the slide was sloppy in the read head. Rubbed down the head carrier to reduce the clearance and now perfect. Bear in mind that a head from a 6" caliper will probably work. Sometimes the screws are different maybe machine thread or self tapping, sometimes 3 self tap and 1 machine thread. I have swapped heads from cheap calipers with no problem.
Richard
Reply to
Richard Edwards
Richard Edwards beweerde :
Thanks Richard. Doing exactly so at this moment ;-) Read some alarming messages though some scales having different divisions. Anyway, found an identical head. Don't think the broken one will come to live again. Best regards, Dirk
Reply to
Dirk
Hi Colin, it really must have something to do with temperature like you stated. After a few days in the room it was ok. Then refitted it to the mill and after about a week it went crazy again. Back in the room lit by the sun, it was ok after a day... May be also moist or RH is involved? Dirk
Reply to
Dirk