Scale head

Hi, Any chance in reviving a chinese scale, when: battery ok, it blinks very fast, readings at random, sometimes steady for a while,
zero, mm/inch, on/off are ok. Looks like it does not pick up the scale properly, although readings change when it is slid over it. Was connected with a dead battery to the Shumatech DRO switched on until half way this winter. Still worked well when battery was swapped at that time. Best regards, Dirk
Dirk wrote:

Try contacting the guy who markets YADRO he has done a lot of work to understand these scales. Good Luck
Bob

Can you get to the sensor and clean off any grease / oil / swarf that is clinging to it? This was a problem that the college I go to on Fridays (most of us over 60!) had some time ago with some new mills and lathes which caused the readings to be incorrect. I found out the hard way after 2 hours of machining relying on the DRO and ending up with a part that was under size.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

Thanks guys, yes, its insides are here bare on the table and clean as a whistle. All looks good. The shiny black dot has a dull line in the middle. I think it's partly dead ;-) Dirk

Hello Dirk Curious to the temperature in your workshop, I have just fitted one and I've had similar problems, I've also had a problem with a Allen DRO caliper and it is to cold for them. Get them warm and they start to read Okay, Try getting a fan heater near one that is missreading but not to close you only need to raise the temperature slightly then retry. Cheers Colin.
Op 4-3-2010, heeft colin1544 verondersteld :

Hi Colin, Temperature in the shack has been near zero for months. This morning I let warm up in the sun behind the glass. No effect. Dirk
colin1544 heeft uiteengezet op 4-3-2010 :

Hi Colin, it really must have something to do with temperature like you stated. After a few days in the room it was ok. Then refitted it to the mill and after about a week it went crazy again. Back in the room lit by the sun, it was ok after a day... May be also moist or RH is involved? Dirk

I had a problem with the Z scale on my mill at the weekend. Numbers suddenly changed to something a lot different. (Feeds a Yadro) Found that the slide was sloppy in the read head. Rubbed down the head carrier to reduce the clearance and now perfect. Bear in mind that a head from a 6" caliper will probably work. Sometimes the screws are different maybe machine thread or self tapping, sometimes 3 self tap and 1 machine thread. I have swapped heads from cheap calipers with no problem.
Richard
Richard Edwards beweerde :

Thanks Richard. Doing exactly so at this moment ;-) Read some alarming messages though some scales having different divisions. Anyway, found an identical head. Don't think the broken one will come to live again. Best regards, Dirk