schoolboy steam engine

many years ago when i was at grammar school i used to do metalwork. as

class project we built a small oscillating steam engine between us.i had a flywheel with a very thick rim and the pivot screw was also ver long with a knurled nut. does anyone recognise the description and mor importantly does anyone have a drawing? i presume it was a standar design from a school text book.

MANY THANK

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

I remember building a piston and flywheel 'engine' although we never made the boiler (if there was one even considered). The flywheel was below the vertical piston and I seem to remember a knurled nut against a spring to keep the oscillating cyclinder against a plate to which the inlet tube (we tried it on compressed air) was soldered. I don't have any drawings but the item is at my parents house so I could get it in a few weeks when I next see them.

Regards,

Steve Salisbury, UK

Reply to
Steven Crook

Is it this one from Stuart models or similar?

many years ago when i was at grammar school i used to do metalwork. as a class project we built a small oscillating steam engine between us.it had a flywheel with a very thick rim and the pivot screw was also very long with a knurled nut. does anyone recognise the description and more importantly does anyone have a drawing? i presume it was a standard design from a school text book.

MANY THANKS

Reply to
Mike D

sounds like the same one, they turn up on e-bay occaisionally

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

fraid not, this one was made from stock materials.

Reply to
bolmas

Try these links :-

Neil Barnes