Shaper Wanted

I'm after a smallish shaper (at a smallish price hopefully!). Something in the 7-10inch territory like a Royal, Alba, Atlas etc. Either bench or floor mounting.

All suggestions, offers, pointers welcomed.

Regards

Charles Ping

Reply to
Charles Ping

OK chaps - I'm making headway. What does an Alba 1A weigh? Does it split in the middle or does it have to be moved in one lump?

thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hi Charles

Acording to the manual it has a net weight of 840lb. Having moved one I can assure you I weight every pound of that! It does split in half although bear in mind that the motor is in the base, but as I recal you just have to slip the belt off and unbolt the top. If you require any further infomation let me know.

Regards, Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearson

Not too bad. Top splits from the base on 4 3/8" bolts and the drive belt. I have moved a couple on my own, it's possible to lift and carry the top if you are determined. Note there are two bases, cast iron and alloy. That does make a difference to the weight. Motor tends to be heavy as they are usually a 6 pole 900 rev motor.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

It's Passat Estate sized.... :-))

Give me a shout if you need a hand or the van/trailer, I'll also have a dig for the bearings now we are back home again.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:47:03 +0000 (UTC), Peter A Forbes <

Thanks Peter I reckon it should break into manageable chunks that, whilst you wouldn't put them in your own car, when it's not yours........

I also do the calculation that 840lb is about 8 large bags of cement (or 3 really hefy blokes and their luggage) so it should be OK.

That's assuming that it's not a boat anchor when I see it tomorrow!

Charles.

Reply to
Charles Ping

When I moved mine, many years ago, I used a small 5' x 3' camping trailer with the floor strengthened by some suitable thick plywood. The top was unbolted from the base, but I left the ram in place. After the first roundabout I stopped, got out the spanners and removed the ram. This lowered the CofG considerably and after that it rode very well.

Out of interest you can get a Centec 2B complete in a Citroen Xantia hatchback!

Stuart Pears>

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

The more pertinent question is whether you can get it out again afterwards ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Thankfully it was the Ali base version so was OK to move It's still in the back of my car but is fully working, single phase and wasn't expensive. All I need now is a manual - any body got one that I can borrow?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Sorry not got a small Alba, only the semi decent 18" ones Saw one a while ago and to be honest it doesn't contain anything. You will be better of looking for a copy of the shaper by Bradley, far better book.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

It's also possible to mount a Warco 1332 onto it's stand using a hired engine hoist from the local garage :) although they do get a bit pissy when you take it back with a blown hydro strut :)

cheers Dalt

Reply to
Dalton

I put the whole table/knee assembly off a Tom Senior mill in the boot of a Peugeot 205, but it did seem a little low at the back

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Whilst unloading my Victoria mill from the trailer I rolled it back to the end of the trailer to make it easier to lift off. I was initially pleased to note that the tail of the trailer dipped usefully to near the floor to aid removal. However I was mildly concerned when I noticed that the back wheels of the Passat estate were lifted almost clear of the ground. Good jobs towbars are strongly mounted these days! (and that I've changed the car)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

The advantage of the Citroen - the suspension is self-levelling and you can raise or lower the car for easier loading/unloading. Great for getting the loco on and off as well.

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Well, I got a Centec 2A out of the back of a Vauxhall Omega estate on my own. Great use was made of planks, rollers and pinchbars :-) That was after Dick Ganderton helped load it :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie