Spring vs. toothed lock washers

I'm reassembling my 3 piece alloy wheels (or will be, once I've had the broken stud spark eroded out... ). They were originally assembled with external toothed lock washers (M6) but I was wondering why they used these instead of spring washers...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Reply to
Robin

All you ever wanted to know about washers, albeit from an American perspective:)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Contrarily to what straightdope claims there is a sentence in the Bolt Loosening page at

states " ..... For example, conventional spring lock washers are no longer specified, because it has been shown that they actually aid self loosening rather than prevent it. .........."

The site has lots of useful information. Do you know what pooching is? (no - it's nothing to do with taking the dog for a walk). I didn't before reading the Glossary of Terms page.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock