Stand for milling machine?

Hi,
I'm looking to build (or buy) a stand for my X3 mill. The proper ones are about 150 plus carriage, and I can't afford that.
Thought of knocking something up from mild steel box section - but what size? Would 40mm x 40mm do, or would 50mm x 50mm be better? Should the legs angle out as they go down?
Any other ideas/suggestions?
Ta,
-- Peter Fairbrother

We used a stand that was originally built for an oven at our old PCB factory, I think it's made from 40mm square X 5mm box, and we have 1" ply top covered in 16g Zintec. Frame was powder coated.
I'll see if I can check dimensions later.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

It's 50 X 50 Box, 36" square and 34" high including the top. A half-height ring of box section runs round to stiffen the legs and we had 4" square feet welded on. The oven was scrapped when we closed the factory but the stand was too good to throw.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 04:58:34 +0000, Peter Fairbrother
I made mine out of 19mm MDF - constructed a box with an open front, using 2X2 timber to reinforce the joints, used 2 thicknesses of MDF for the top & a couple of coats of varnish to seal, It now provides storage as well as support. Worked a treat.
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :

Haha, I did almost exactly the same..! 4x 60mm square garden timber poles and waterproof 18mm plywood, doubled on top. Screws and construction glue. Wide plywood braces, a drawer too. Holds a 250kg drillmill nicely and...does not rock and roll ;-) Dirk
Peter,
I have a Centec 2 sitting on a steel 2 drawer filling cabinet with a piece of 3/4 ply cut to go between the mill and the cabinet, the height is good and it is solid and the draws hold milling equipment. Cost 0 at I got it on Freecycle.
Martin P

How about the CWB80 bench from Machine Mart see http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cwb80-tool-bench-cabinet It's 70.48 pounds but only 59.98pounds if you wait for one of their sale evenings when they take off the VAT. I have used their larger bench http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cwb1250-workbench to support both a mill and a small lathe. They come as a flat pack which fit in the back of a small hatch back car.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

What about a panel for the back? That may add the required stiffness.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

There is a panel on the back, it also goes all the way down. I might extend the side panels further down tho', they only go down a bit. Also a panel on the floor might help - but I think 3x3 legs will be best! :)
-- Peter Fairbrother

Given the extreme top-heaviness of the setup a little wobble is surely inevitable whatever the construction. I have the factory stand for my SX3. Despite its solid appearance it wobbles like crazy when I crank the Z axis handle fast. Putting 40kg of steel stock in the bottom made absolutely no difference, I'm planning to fill the bottom half with cement next time I have cause to mix some.

The base we used was about 4ft X 4ft plan, with 4" square feet on the box section. Rock solid.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

I have either the factory stand, or at least a contemporary stand, for my Excel Motel 0/BCA 2 clone. It's made entirely with eighth plate including the door, except for the top, which is 1/2" Tufnol. It don't wobble under any normal provocation :-)
Mark Rand RTFM