Selecting bigger alder seeds by their falling speed in air

I wonder if anybody on this group can help me with this?

I want to find bigger alder seeds and breed from them to produce even bigger alder sees. You can get huge numbers from a tree, The Forestry commission breeds from the best 1 in 400 000 trees and that's the sort of numbers I want to go through. I want a mechanised way of doing at least some of that sorting. The seeds are all the same colour and very difficult to sort by eye, and they vary in thickness. I want seeds which are heavier = thicker, so it seems best to sort by falling speed in air.

In a room 3 M high I have put alder seeds into a teaspoon and tipped it. This removes the doubt as to whether the seeds fell immediately I opened my grip or whether they were stuck onto my finger. I had a big sheet of paper on floor and the seeds make a tap noise when they hit that paper. I time the time from tipping the teaspoon to the sound of the seeds hitting the paper. It was just over 1 second, so a falling speed of 3M/second. Obviously not a very exact measurement, but it can't be too far out.

(I have bought fans from R S Components which, as rated, can produce airspeeds of 10M/sec though a crossesection of 7 cm x 7 cm, but I am not sure R S Components's ratings are correct)

These are "standard" seeds. I want to search for bigger seeds with a faster falling speed.

I want this winnower to be portable, so that if I find a tree which has bigger seeds, I can look for more from that tree and not waste time on trees which produce small seeds. The idea that I am toying with at the moment is this:-

There will be a fan at the top, pulling air up and OUT. The small discards will be blown through it.

Below that will be square-sided upside-down pyramid of perspex so that I can see what is going on inside. There will also be a chute for putting the seeds to be tested in. Airflow will be inwards, so no problem about that.

The pyramid will taper down to the sorting zone, where falling speed will be tested. This will be parallel-sided. This is the point that I want advice about.

Can the airflow be laminar? The depends on the width of the sorting section and Reynold's number. I am not used to calculations involving Reynold's number and I couldn't trust my answer. How wide does it have to be for an airflow of 3M/sec to be laminar? Help please!

The answer must be either that the width is reasonable (it is something I can carry round with me) or it is not.

  • The flow can be laminar at a reasonable width. But is this desirable? Doesn't it mean that a seed with a falling speed of about
3M/sec will be blown up if it falls at the centre, drift to the side and fall down the side where the air speed is lower? That's the sort of sophistication that I want advice on.

But to take the simplest view, I will have a short length of sorting section, with a taper leading into it, and well below it a catching bowl to catch the bigger seeds that have fallen through. (I can go out seed-collecting in moderate winds). Or else I can use 1mm wire mesh (cut from the bottom of a kitchen strainer) to catch the seeds at the bottom of the sorting section. Like this :-

Cone and Fan \ / \ / | | | Sorting | | section | | | | | | | | | / \ / \ / \ / \ Air-smoothing entry cone.

| | |_________________| Catching bowl

  • The flow cannot be laminar at a reasonable width. This does at least mean that the airspeed will be constant, though turbulent, right across the width. But how can I get a reasonably sharp cut-off? (I say "REASONABLY sharp cut-off" because in practice, to be sure I am not eliminating seeds that would be useful to me, I will adjust the airspeed to allow through a small number of the upper end of the "normal distribution". Does it help to make the sorting section longer so that seeds are bounced up and down and tested many times?

So, help, comments, answers, redirection to a site where they KNOW about these things - all would be welcome.

Michael Bell

Reply to
Michael Bell

Michael.

I don't want to spoil your dreams, but have you proved the basic premise behind your machine that heavier seeds fall faster than smaller ones? 500 years ago a man called Galileo Galilei reputedly dropped different size iron balls from the leaning Tower of Pisa and demonstrated to the world that they fell at the same rate. Admittedly air resistance will play a bigger part in the descent of seeds than iron balls, but I doubt the difference is so marked that it could be used for grading, so I ask again: have you proved that thicker seeds fall faster than thin seeds? I'd hate to see you waste time and money on a machine that does not work.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I googled for a few secs and came up with :-

as a start. This has surely been done before, no point in reinventing the wheel . In a place where I worked for many years we had masses of machinery for sorting seeds of many different grasses, clovers and cereals using blowers, screens, even iron filings and magnets (surface roughness). Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Have a look here :

Donwill

Cliff

All praise to you for your scepticism, but :-

1) Without air resistance an object will fall 5 Metres = 16 feet in the first second.

2) I just quoted the FIRST tap on the paper on the floor. It takes another 2 seconds for all of them to come down.

3) Winnowing is a well-known process for separating wheat from chaff.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Bell

Is there any proven correlation between the size of a seed and the subsequent size, many years later, of the consequent tree?

Eating the flesh of a brave man did not create bravery.

(And I wonder about the gullibility of the 21s C educated females who seem to be receptive to the presence of, "Pearl Protein" in their shampoos.)

Reply to
invalid

I've looked at this link. It doesn't explain their processes, and I couldn't get their CAPTCHA ("TYPE IN WHAT YOU SEE") to accept my input.

You once did seed sorting yourself? I hear they have rather tough standards of purity for sale to the public, like "no more than ONE rat per tonne of wheat!"

Michael Bell

Reply to
Michael Bell

I wasn't personally involved in seed sorting, but it went on in our plant breeding research establishment. Our physics dep wksp was called on to design and make small bench type sorters in perspex to facilitate precise separation of various seed types. I think that you will see in my second link some of the basic principles in seed cleaning and separation. Hope this helps. Don

Reply to
Donwill

OK, as long as you appreciate the sometimes non-intuitive concept that heavy bodies do not necessarily fall faster then similar lighter bodies.

As an aside, the acceleration due to gravity is twice the figure you quoted i.e. 32 feet/second/second.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Is it proven that bigger seeds produce bigger trees?

Would a rattle box be easier? You would need to vibrate a tub and the heaviest seeds would sink?

But then are there lightweight big seeds to worry about?

Reply to
Steve

In fairness he quoted a Distance 16ft I think. when I was in school some 55yrs agoI learned that S= ut + 1/2 a t squared

Don

Reply to
Donwill

You must have gone to the same school as did I, or else also sat the London University 'A' Level maths.

Also off the top of my head 40 years later ...

v = u + a t v^2 = u^2 + 2 a s

But you are both right

a = 32'/s^2

s after one second = 16'

Reply to
invalid

'O' level physics?

I only remember the S = ut + 1/2 at^2 one - but it's about all you need to remember, you can work out the others (or even just the numbers) from it.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Cliff

At the end of its first sec> OK, as long as you appreciate the sometimes non-intuitive concept that heavy

Reply to
Michael Bell

How do you manage to insert the square symbol (little 2 after and above the v and u) It dissapears when I reply. Don

Reply to
Donwill

No correlation whatever.

I am interested in the seeds only as a food source. BUT seed size has an interesting ecological consequence. "Forest trees" of the "climax vegetation", ie, the state the land will eventually reach if not disturbed by man, have big seeds, think of acorns and chestnuts because they need to for their seedlings to grow in heavy shade and through years worth of leaf litter to reach earth. Such seedlings can grow in the shade of their parents. Alders cannot, they have very light seeds, so easily scattered, but their food reserves are small so they can only grow on fresh ground, they are a "weed tree". The only place where alders form the climax vegetation is birch-alder carr, where they form a long-lasting forest only because they can survive wet ground.

Michael Bell

Reply to
Michael Bell

A "rattle box"! What's that?

Michael Bell

Reply to
Michael Bell

According to my calculations the Reynolds number will be greater than 4000 i.e. fully turbulent in any pipe bigger than 2cm across at that airspeed. In a 10cm diameter pipe it would be about 20,000. So basically you can't achieve laminar airflow and I suggest it isn't an issue anyway. The Reynolds number of the flow around the seed is probably another issue but not something you can control given you need a specific air speed.

It might be easier to make if you just have a wire mesh inside the sorting tube you can chuck a bunch of them onto, turn on the motor, gradually increase the airspeed with a dial and wait for the small ones to be sucked out of the top. No shute for introducing seeds, just switch it on and off and put another batch in from the top or bottom. You could then actually grade them into batches at different air speeds if you can collect the ones that get sucked out.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Mea culpa. The distance travelled in one second would indeed be 16 feet. The result seemed so obvious to me that I didn't bother to actually calculate it. My apologies.

Incidentally, when I did O level physics some 43 years ago in London I seem to remember the abbreviation for acceleration was f, so the above equation would have been s = ut + 1/2f(t squared). Is my memory failing or was it just one of those conventions that changed over time? Just to stir up memories for the older generation, I also recall force as a result of weight being expressed in poundals.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

The transition from laminar to turbulent flow for air in a pipe at 3 m/s begins at about 1.15 cm pipe diameter.

The pipe should be *narrower* than that for laminar flow, not larger.

You ain't going to get laminar flow.

The good news is that you neither need nor want laminar flow.

Help please!

Reynold's number for a pipe can be calculated using the formula

R = duD/m

Where d is the density (1.23 kg/m^3 for air)

u is the velocity of flow

D is the diameter of the tube (technically the hydraulic diameter, qua google if interested, but for a square tube it's equal to the side of the square) and

m is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid (~0.000018 kg/ms for air)

Flow becomes turbulent at above ~ Re = 2,100, and fully turbulent at above ~ Re = 4,000.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother