Steam Consumption

How much steam will a Stuart S50 use, not running anything but itself? I've just knocked up a boiler to try mine on steam (only been run on air), but it's not very big. I let the size be dictated by what I could find in my "scrap" box, so it's 1.5" diameter and 6" long. It's a basic pot boiler with a couple of water heater tubes on the bottom, and I intend to pass the steam outlet under the boiler between these tubes to give some superheating. Will this work, or am I doomed to failure (not a complety wasted exercise as I haven't built a boiler before so it was good experience, and if it doesn't run the Stuart I'll just build an engine it will run -maybe put it in a little boat).

I was going to run this at about 60psi -will this be enough for the S50 (calculations show this is extremely cautious, but why go higher if this is enough -it's what the Stuart safety valve blows at).

Would I be able to use a boiler feed pump on such a small boiler, and if so can anyone point me to some plans for a small one.

On a related note, does anyone have any plans for a meths burner -the notes I have from old ME's keep mentioning asbestos wicks and I'm sure this isn't allowed any more. So what do people use now?

I'm hoping to get to Donington on the late night (Wed) and should be able to pick up all the bits & pieces there -most important some silver solder to hold it all together (plus steam valve, short length of pipe, safety valve, water level gauge -have I missed anything?)

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

superheating.

A useful and interesting book for these questions is "Model Boilers and Boilermaking", by K.N.Harris, (think thats the correct title). As well as designs for different kinds of boiler, there are notes and designs for spirit burners, gas firing. etc. I think I saw the book on the Tee stand at the exhibition.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Ashman