Boiler Pressure

I have finally bought a boiler to run my engines on steam (instead of compressed air). Well, actually I only bought it because it came my way for less than the cost of copper to build one -probably why it took so longto get round to buying one.

Anyway, I'll be running a Stuart S50 and later (if I ever get round to finishing it) a Cotswold Heritage beam engine. What sort of boiler pressure should I use for these engines. I want to know what to test it to and where to set the safety valve.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

If you have run your engines on air you will find that with steam, less pressure is required due to the expansive properties of steam. So for a start your boiler can be run at the same pressures as you had on air and you can throttle the engines as needed with their steam valves.

Unfortunately without knowledge of the boiler design you cannot tell what it has been designed for in respect of its pressure test. If you know where the boiler is from or what is was made for this may give you a clue. Otherwise I would recommend you seek advice from your nearest model engineers club who have boiler testers.

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Poor form to answer your own post, I know. But I did the obvious thing and took a look at Stuarts web site, and their biolers run at

60psi -so I'll do the same.

Regards

Kevin

PS I'm now idly wondering if I could use it as the basis for a 5" gauge DeWinton

Reply to
Kevin Steele