Frequency/ speed measurement

Like many people I run some machines on inveters - partly for 3 phase conversion but also for speed variation. Being a tidy person I've tucked the inverters away inside the machine cabinets. Is there a way to have the inverter frequency output displayed so that I can at least mentally calculate "50% of rated speed" or similar. The ideal would be a display that could be mounted somewhere visible.

Suggestions welcomed, simple and more complex!

Regards

Charles

Charles Ping

RS sell quite a few frequency meters.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Would it perhaps be simpler to just fit rpm meters to the spindles, which would give you direct reading of the rpm? No need for rough approximations, and probably less complex than wiring up a remote display to the inverter.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Charles Many inverters have an analogue output that can be programmed to indicate speed (output frequency); if yours has this, the simplest method would be to connect a meter to this output. Another possibility is to remote the control panel; several inverters I've seen have the option to place the panel remotely, connected to the inverter by an RJ45 cable. If you program the inverter to display frequency you've got what you need. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Charles, on many there is the facility to run a separate frequency counter. Take a look at the wiring of the invertor in question. The IMO Jaguar cubs have provision for a 10V or 1mA meter to be connected between FM and CM Page 15 of the book.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Most inverters have at least one analogue output that can give a scalable output for frequency. You need just a small panel meter, to give you what you require.

Outputs are normally 0-10v or a 20mA current ouput.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

That's the solution. Find the right meter, make a new front scaled with percentage, fit in box.

many thanks to all

Charles

Charles Ping