Tapping questions

On or around Tue, 15 May 2007 16:41:16 -0500, anotherid enlightened us thusly:

there's a reason for reversing though, as you may or may not know. reversing cuts the swarf into little pieces which drop clear, if you're lucky.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not the ones I have! I bought 8mm 1/2/3 taps (taper, second and plug from Chronos and all three taps have a pointy end. The amount of ful thread differs so I can tell which is which, but no. 3 has a pointe end just like the other two. On the other hand the set of 10mm 1/2/3 bought from them all have flat ends, just like the RS 12mm set.

Brenda

-- anotheri

----------------------------------------------------------------------- anotherid's Profile:

this thread:

anotherid

Some Tap grinders use a female centre, some use a male centre. It's not a major problem to grind the point off, if you aren't likely to be re-sharpening the taps.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

plug)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On the tap's shaft, there is one ring for pre two rings for intermediate and no ring for final cutting.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Did you mean Soluble Oil used neat or Neat Cutting oil in solution?

Steve

Reply to
Steve W