things go better with coke

I posted asking about flat belts. Being a cheapskate I managed to move the upper shaft and repair the old belt. I have for years run the belt over pulley that have cloth glued to them, it stopped the slipping. After repairing the belt I changed the speed, first time in twenty years;-) and I am now running it on clean metal pulleys.

The belt slipped like hell on the nice shiny metal pulley's. I was taking a 20 thou cut while boring a 12" hole in an ali casting and it was slipping so I poured some sodastream cola concentrate on the pulley and it happily took a 150 thou cut with no slipping!!!

It's quite intereting to to watch and hear when it's taking a heavy cut. The belt sticks to the pulley making a tearing noise as it's pulled off the pulley and the belt is stuck to the upper pulley for a greater angle the deeper the cut, pulling the belt tighter.

The pulley has a residue that looks like contact adhesive on it now. It needs about a teaspoonfull of the stuuuf per casting i bore and face. The improvement in surface finish now I am not doing the maching in backgear is great and it's muuuch quicker so I am a very happy bunny..

So things do go better with coke.

Reply to
richard

A popular motor trade bodge to get a few hundred more miles out of a car with a slipping clutch - bottle of coke in the bell housing. Also good for removing oil stains from concrete.....and people drink this stuff?

Reply to
John Blakeley

Black treacle works too but the sticking/unsticking to which you refer is putting a high load on the bearings. regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I had a Sunbeam S8 in my youth. The clutch regularly oiled up as the shaft seal was knackered. It was only an old nail to ride to work (cost me thirty bob!) so every Saturday, I used to take off the clutch inspection cap, hold the clutch lever in with the hook off a bungee and sprinkle Fullers Earth into the clutch as Hazel turned the engine.

It would then not slip for a week!

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

putting a high load on the bearings.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hmm, in the 50s a friend of mine had acquired an old (pre war) Riley with epicyclic / automatic gearbox. The clutches slipped in that. He heard about the magical properties of Fullers Earth and duly treated the gearbox to a dose. The car never moved aagain under its own power!

--=20 anton

Reply to
spam-ends-up

Not clutches, but brake bands in the Wilson Pre-Selector gearboxes..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

..mmm... and I've still got an S8 ! I'm afraid it did 6 miles last year - too and from the MOT station ! No clutch problems though

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I was told about fullers earth in brake drums when i bought an Atlas in the 70's which had an extradonairy[?] large number of leading shoes, I was assured the brakes where the bollocks if you filled the drum with fullers earth, I never tried it..

Reply to
richard

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Arrrrgh! Shame on you.

You should sell that (at a reasonable price) to someone who would love, cherish and *ride* it...

Reply to
Nigel Eaton