Torx sizes

Torx stuff is very common place on vehicles now, but they don't give any more trouble than convetional nuts/bolts. The good thing is, that if a torx head does get chewed up, there's a bigger area to weld a nut on to!

As for the male torz heads, I quite like them. The sockets have a more positive engagement, and are far less likely to slip of/round than conventional hex heads.

Just make sure you get a good quailty set of bits for female torx heads. Cheap bits really will give you problems, more so than any other cheap tool.

Reply to
moray

Less wear or chance of the bit slipping out while tightening. Easy to plug a screw onto the bit and reach a narrow space without falling off. And the bits also fit hex heads. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Can you recommend a make - I was going to get some cheap and cheerful ones? Maybe I should go for a kit for my 1/2 inch air wrench, normally those bits are made of good quality steel.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

I only buy WERA-bits

And I'm not allone with that decision.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I also like WERA. Britool are generally good too.

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Best option is to physically look at them, and make sure they look well made.

I got a sealey set at work a couple years ago, and other than breaking a couple, they were fine. However, I just got a newer bigger set a few months ago, and they're crap. I've snapped countless numbers of them, and they're not the best fit.

You won't go far wrong with a set of Syke-Pickavant, which is what the broken stuff normally gets replaced with (SP will sell individual bits, whereas Sealey doesn't). Even with the good stuff, the bits wills till break, but generally only when abusing them!

Reply to
moray

I agree. A couple of years ago I lined and shelved a bathroom cupboard - about 80-100 wood screws in a confined space. I just happened to have bought a collection of torx woodscrews from Axminster a few weeks before that, so I used them. Magic! Every screw sat securely on the power drill torx driver, never a single slippage or damaged head. Pity they cost several times as much as other woodscrews.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Square socket head are likely just as good - and only cost twice as much!

Reply to
Jordan

Will they go into round holes?

Well someone's got to ask..