Turning v.small diameter materials

I have a piece of 2.4 mm silver steel, I need to turn two bands in it, 22mm
wide by 1mm deep with a 1mm gap between each band. Any suggestions on how to
do this on the super 7 without it bending and breaking ?? I don't have a
steady and to be honest don't see how it would help.
Reply to
Paul A Prescott
There was a tool by Arrand Engineering that would help you do this.
This tool is mounted on the tool post. It had a brass or phosphor bronze bush drilled to the diameter of the work.
The turning tool is clamped alongside this bush. The work passes through the bush first as you turn the work the bush it almost rubbing the turning tool so that you get no deflection of the work.
Anyone know Arrand Engineering website?
You could easily make you own similar tool once you saw how it was made.
Lionel
Reply to
Lionel
Couldn't find website, google came up with this.
Not sure if it's correct.
Arrand Engineering 4 Braunston Road Knossington Oakham, Leicestershire LE15 8LN 01664454566
If they still do tooling then their small diameter turning tools may do what you want.
Lionel
Reply to
Lionel
There was a tool by Arrand Engineering that would help you do this.
This tool is mounted on the tool post. It had a brass or phosphor bronze bush drilled to the diameter of the work.
The turning tool is clamped alongside this bush. The work passes through the bush first as you turn the work the bush it almost rubbing the turning tool so that you get no deflection of the work.
Anyone know Arrand Engineering website?
You could easily make you own similar tool once you saw how it was made.
Lionel
Reply to
Lionel
You can make up a travelling steady to suit by using some sheet brass attached to the cross slide, with a 2.4mm hole drilled in it from the headstock.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
If you have a collet chuck or an accurate enough normal chuck just do a few mm at a time and then move the bar further out of the chuck and do a few more mm.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.
Reply to
Dave Baker