Turpin's DH

Anyone a clue where to find an article of the dividing head designed by Mr. Turpin? Dirk

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:54:52 +0100, "Dirk PG1D"

Not one R. Turpin, by any chance?
Regards, Tony

Possibly; found a book by AR Turpin about brazing.

At a guess---- AR Turpin and the lathe was one of these 10" between centres baby Ajax ones, I had an Enox 10" which was about the same era - possibly 1955 Still got the 3 and 4 jaws and the top slide( as part of my Clarkson T&C goodies)
Also got the 10 books on Pelmanism. Write it down in case you forget it!
Cheers
Norman
Perhaps around 1955??????

Correct.
Sorry Dirk but computer is playing up- hence the duplication etc.
Next daft question is 'Why the interest in such an old- and not very good lathe?'
If my memory is holding out, the lathe had split bearings and a half inch BSF spindle with an O or OO Morse.
I dumped my 'Enox' because the bed went 'banana' shaped.
Cheers
Norman

Ah, it is coming back Not Ajax but Adept and Super Adept lathes. More coming back- I gave my old RB Drummond to a guy with a 'Wizard' some 30 years ago. the Wizard was the copy of the Lane or vice versa- and made in County Durham. Another 'Adept' writer was J Latta. My 'Enox' came from Dr Clifford Arthur with his Gauge 1 stuff. Also got his Zyto. Arthur was a relative of James Watt.
I also got his wife's 'first baby or thereabouts' and in turn became my wife!
Funny old world
Norman

Hi Norman, Well it is only the Turpin dividing head I am interested in, apparently it was an accesory item of Urwick's MetalMaster. Purely for engineer's interest. The file has vanished since a certain James E. got a nasty letter ;-)

I bet the plans are highway robbery
Dave

Turpin seems to have designed a DH that was adopted by Urwick for his MetalMaster. It is visible on the home picture at the MM-Yahoogroup.
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:36:38 +0100, "Dirk PG1D"

Wouldn't that group be a good place to ask?
Regards, Tony
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:22:55 -0800 (PST), dave sanderson

I'm sure that his dividing head stands, but does it deliver?
Regards, Tony

A guy called AR Turpin did a Vertical adjustable dividing head in Model engineer Vol 98 issue 2451.
But the better bet ? may be a series by the same guy in 1951 / 52 called Universal Dividing Head plus. This was in Vol 105 numbers 2634, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40 and Vol 106 numbers 2642, 43, and 44
John S.

WOW, you found it...! Thanks for looking it up, John. Now, how could one get a copy of these pages?

When it comes to our hobbies, often the best in us emerges. Many thanks again, Richard. Best regards, Dirk