Int40 & 30 tapers

In an idle moment searching for a replacement vertical CNC mill,
having realised that I'll almost certainly settle on a 40int /iso40
machine, but have crates full of 30 BE Quickchange tooling, I wanted
to see if there is enough 'meat' on the 40 taper to make a conveter to
30 BE. But google as I may I cannot find specs for the two tapers to
compare. I'm sure I have the info somewhare but blowed if I can find
it!
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Have you tried Machinery's handbook?
Such converters do exist, using a pass-through drawbar. I have one, which was made for BT30 so the hole isn't quite big enough for the spigot on ISO/QC 30 stuff to pass through & it's never been quite important enough to set to with a grinder and open it out.
Or, were you thinking of making a converter with the full QC facility?
Tim
Reply to
Tim L
You can buy a BE QC adaptor which has a 40 back end and accepts the QC30 tooling.
Reply to
mark
wanted
facility?
.. oh yes ... by unfortunate circumstances I do have a BE Q/C nose piece so may as well go the whole hog!
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
/iso40
wanted
conveter to
Are these exchangeable for the normal human number of arms and legs, or do I need to be an octopus Mark?
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
BE or BT?
The NMTB/INT/BT/CAT etc. tapers are all 3.5in/foot taper, so a drawbar type adapter should be simple. A QC one may be more interesting :-)
Said he, thinking about boring out the spindle on the Beaver mill to take a 5/8 drawbar and making an extender to convert it from 30INT to 40INT :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Andrew
Through the wonders of the internet.
Should be page 941 of Machinerys handbook
Charles
Reply to
Charles P
/iso40
wanted
conveter to
drawbar type
40INT :-)
Thanks Charles - appreciated
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Andrew, the 40 int BE QC adapter goes in the spindle and stays there. You then use QC30 tooling as though you were still on the Interact. Personally I would throw the QC30 as far as I possibly could.I don`t like them and certainly don`t trust them never to come lose. I run a 40 int manual machine and have a load of different tooling I use,with different drawbars when needed and I have no probs with it. But,if you`re buying cnc you want a toolchanger or pushbutton arrangement for tool changes. My choice would be for small volume,possibly a few tool changes,go push button.For higher volumes,not a lot of different tools,go toolchanger. The choice is yours. If this is for more smashing practice don`t waste a lot of time choosing it and don`t spend a lot of money on it.
Reply to
mark
well if you take marks advice and chuck your 30 tooling .chuck it in my direction ..
all the best.markj
Reply to
mark