Two-speed motors with inverters (again)

Hi, The drives I used to design and support were the Commander SE range from Control Techniques, and they had multiple motor maps for just such an
application as yours. Not sure of the Siemens will though as i'm not sure if it's open loop vector or dumb V to F. You could have about 8 or 9 (from memory) distinct motor maps, and you could just select which map you wanted by setting up the I/O terminals appropriately. You could set the motor current, voltage, number of poles, min max speed, and so on.
Regards,
Rob.
snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote:

I've got one of those Commander drives, the right size for this motor, but it's 240V. It would be great to be able to alter the motor wiring to use that ;-) The basic Siemens instructions seem wonderfully vague, the drive I have has no control panel & basic operation is possible using the usual pot & switch plus a couple of dip switches. I'm going to have to get a panel for it, I think, they do one with a serial port which might be the best bet as well as being the cheapest. I have a single phase Micromaster Vector on my lathe but it's a completely different kettle of fish from this one.
This is copied from the manual and lists the Control Modes available if you have the panel:-
4.4 Control modes (P1300)
All control modes of the MICROMASTER 420 are based on a V/Hz control. The following different control variants are provided to suit different types of application:  Linear V/f control, P1300 = 0 Can be used for variable and constant torque applications, such as conveyors and positive displacement pumps.  Linear V/f control with Flux Current Control (FCC) P1300 = 1 This control mode can be used to improve the efficiency and dynamic response of the motor.  Quadratic V/f control P1300 = 2 This mode can be used for variable torque loads, such as fans and pumps.  Multi-point V/f control P1300 = 3 For information regarding this mode of operation, please consult the MM420 Reference Manual.
There's a very long list of settable parameters, if you have the right panel, but a quick skim through doesn't immediately throw up any which would allow storage of more than one set of motor parameters. I may well be missing something, it's not my forte.
Many thanks
Tim
snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com wrote:

Tim,
I've played with a few micro-master controllers and I think you can store more than 1 set of parameters in some of the operator panels. I've certainly used a BOP to move parameters from one converter to another but I can't remember if it asks for a file location which would imply storing more than one set of params. The other way as you say would be to use the serial interface and a laptop. I've got some Siemens software CDs somewhere...... I'll see if I can find them and see if there is anything useful there.
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Hi, Actually yes using some software to set unit up is normally a lot easier, but I thing Siemens kit aint that user friendly; that's certainly true of their PLC's. Certainly not as good as the Control Techniques stuff. We had stuff like CT-Soft (which I also had involvement with as I was a Windows programmer in another life) which made commisioning a lot easier. From what Bob says there is a Siemens flavoured version so try that out.
From what you say the Siemens think it straight V to F. You will need some boost to keep the motor going, or rather delivering torque, at very low revs if you want some torque out of it, but beware it'll get very hot unless it's got a separate blower due to the I^2*R losses in the windings. Don't forget torque is prop to current, so it'll be running at nearly full current (if you need that kind of torque) at nearly a standstill. Because you're running a machine off it it might not be too important as you will be running fairly quickly, but I thought I should mention it.
Sincerely,
Rob.

I've ordered a PC interface kit today, I started the wiring over the w/ e & might try to finish it this pm, feeling a bit under the weather but might cope with an hour or two of pottering in the shop.
I don't envisage going down to extremely low speeds, but obviously I'll have to watch the temperatures.
I'll report progress when there is some.
Many thanks Tim

All up and running now, using the 'FCC' option which seemed the most appropriate. I haven't done much with it yet as I've had the feed gearbox apart, I still need to play with the ramp times and the DC injection braking seems pretty ineffectual compared with other inverters that I've used but the proof will come when I do some real work with it. It does seem to function OK on both motor speed settings, but I'm not sure how much the lower speed setting will get used. The default minimum frequency on the inverter is 0Hz, which had me confused for a moment when everything was switched on and nothing happened!
Thanks to all
Tim