What does the team think?

An associate and I are puzzled as to the correct direction to fit a blade into a Manchester Rapidor power hacksaw. Logically we feel that the saw should cut on the pull (back) stroke thus keeping the blade in tension when it is cutting. However, the hydraulic dash pot lifts the arm on the pull stroke indicate that the cutting should be done on the push (forward) stroke. One thing I feel sure of is that the lift must be on the non-cutting stroke

Is there a custom and practice answer to this or does is depend on the design?

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That doesn't sound logical because it implies that the transverse force is applied directly to the blade. The corollary would be that the blade would bend under compression on the push stroke.

So, the blade must surely be held in a rigid frame through which the transverse forces will be applied. The only drag on the blade will be as the result of the cutting action and this will be the same irrespective of which way round you fit the blade.

As you say that the dashpot lifts the blade on the pull, or return stroke, then clearly you must fit the blade to cut on the push stroke.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

How does this Newsblock program work, anyway?

Reply to
Newsblock Enquirer

It works by looking at all the messages on your newsgroup server and compares them to a filter database. In the case of Airey if you wanted to not see any of his posts or replies you would list something like Airey, Bean, Gareth and you could even list @privacy.net but that would also stop anyone else using privacy net.

You can also list his genuine email address as that is hidden inside the message ID. You could also ban any users who use Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106 which is what Airey uses but this is extreme as it also stops genuine users who have this version.

The program comes with a text file explaining in detail how to filter Airey, I won't list the finer points here for obvious reasons.

I got this and have been using it for a while, Airey is in there but I got it for another really annoying troll on another UK group. I still see some of Aireys post or rather the replies to but it doesn't bother me, I find him 25% funny, 25% predictable and 70% pathetic.

There is also a text file describing how the program came about - very interesting and nice to know our tax money is being well spent.

PB.

Reply to
Paul Beck

Clearly it's not as effective as you claim below, as you responded so well.

Try again.

Reply to
Baul Peck

I always thought mechanical hacksaw, like their manual counterpart, cut on the forward stroke. The fact that the blade lifts on the return stroke bears this out.

Cheers Mark

Reply to
Mark

There are variations between designs. The saw should cut on in the direction in which it is not being lifted. If the saw frame is correctly designed, the saw will be more than adequately tensioned in both directions.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand