What "rouring feight" is?

HEHEHEH

reminds me of the japanese instrutions ont he Yamaha DX-7 Music keyboard (FYI its the keyboard with the dubious distinction of being used in the most bad 80's pop tunes of all)

It used frequency modulati> I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric

Reply to
Brent Philion

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a "rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I think it is to keep the chain paying smoothly over the chain drive sprocket and not jumping the notches and binding up inside the housing. This would be for when the hook is being lowered without any weight on it. "feight" seems to be a misspelling of "weight", I'm not too clear on "rouring". Could that be "pouring"?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I was guessing maybe "lowering" given the typical Asian 'l'/'r' confusion, but that doesn't fit all that well either.

It's not a chain, BTW, it's 9/64" "aircraft" cable wound around a drum, as on a winch, but they make a point in the instructions that it should wind evenly on the drum and not cross over, so your point is valid.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Lowering weight perhaps? There to insure that the stiff steel cable actually lowers when you don't have a load attached?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

The weight actuates the power shutoff as the cable is wound all the way onto the reel. Don't know about the terminology.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Ah, that's what that (farily poorly welded) bail is for. Thanks!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe a plobrem with plinting quarity?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cranes seem to often have large ball weights next to the hook. I assume it is to keep the cable in enough tension for proper winding and unwinding when unloaded. I have no idea on "rouring".

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

"Don Foreman" wrote: Maybe a plobrem with plinting quarity? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Raughing out roud.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reaving weight?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Rolling weight?

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Check out reaving weight.

Reply to
Tom

Wel it does say something about harbor freight quality control unfortunately

If i saw instructions come through in as you put it Chinglish it would tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the manufacturer didnt care enough to write out proper instructons.

And IMO worse the importer didnt care enough to check the product they sold and stand by it. Or send it right back on the crate it came from

So it sounds like you bought a hoist with a broken "Give a shit"

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

It's a relative of the "shaking shank" on my Taiwan made rotary table.

Please breathe lube into tool usually.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

In that case, my guess is "routing weight".

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Pick yer pony, take yer ride. HF stuff is cheap, sometimes 1/5 the price of " good stuff". It's unrealistic to expect quality beyond basic function at their prices, and they'll cheerfully take back or exchange stuff that flat doesn't work. That's their quarity control. Their stuff sometimes works surprisingly well for occasional use, should be regarded as disposable consumables rather than tool investments. Repair parts? Not broody rikery.

I just bought an HF air stapler for $19.99. It shoots 1/2" crown staples -- and it does shoot them! Flat buries a 3/8" staple in red oak. I probably won't shoot two boxes of staples thru it during its or my lifetime. But it'll do the job for making the annual batch of rabbit guards with chickenwire and 1x2 stakes for milady's

200 feet of flower garden.

With Arrow "power shot" manual stapler that cost almost as much: ka-chunk (hmm) ka-chunk (shit) ka-chunk(F**K!) kachunk kachunk kachunk (gimme the goddamned hammer...)

With HF Chinese air stapler: WHAM (ahhh!) That'll work, and that's about all I want to spend on tooling for making rabbit guards.

"Is not checking stapler by pressing against forehead. May damage to stapler."

Reply to
Don Foreman

  1. It helps pull the cable off the drum when lowering as just the hook and cable is not enough weight and the drum will simply rotate inside of a big coil of cable.
  2. It also hits a "framework" at the hoist that the cable runs through so when you are raising a load, it will shut off the winch when the weight hits the framework. It prevents stalling out the winch (or worse) when you have raised it as far as it will go. HTH Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Hey Speff,

How about a combined word, as in "round ring weight" with a typo on the "F". Dual purpose for the weight of maintaining some cable tension, and the ring providing a striker for the up direction safety shut-off.

Most lift equipment has some sort of auto-stop to protect against over-winding. On large cranes, the little weight of about that same size is dangled on a chain from the switch arm at the upper limit, similar to a float switch in/on a sump-pump.

There should also be some sort of "down over-winding" safety too, so that say, one of your kids is playing with the buttons and just keeping the "DOWN" pushed until all the cable feeds off, then begins to wind on again. If the as-built safety stop switch only stops "UP" travel but then allows a down run, then you'll see that it won't do anything now, and hopefully would stall on jamming, but worst case would see the cable snap and somebody get hurt when the hook and weight go flying.

Happy New Year by the way.

Brian Laws>>I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric

Reply to
Brian Lawson

That's clearly the function of the weight, whatever the name. The blurb at the beginning says "stabilizing weight" which I can't fit into the Chinglish.

I don't see any protection against that. Interestingly they have big warnings about having an external motor switch installed. I wonder if they are worried about it sticking "on" somehow.

Same to you and yours, Brian.