Whitworth impact sockets

I'm looking for some Whitworth impact sockets. Does anyone have a source, or have any they would like to sell me? We're always warned against using ordinary sockets with an impact
wrench, I've used them form time to time, has anyone actually shattered one?
Tim

Had one go on a Scania back axle bearing cap, donkeys ago, but wasn't going too silly and heard the note change as it cracked.
Single hex standard sockets are better if you cannot get the real thing, or look at J&L, they might have Metric or Imperial size that is close enough.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk

Not specifically what you're looking for, but I was just shopping for some new Whitworth sockets on J&L and noticed that they list a fairly broad range of Whitworth flogging spanners from 9/16" to 3". Not stocked, but shipped direct from King Dick. The only Whit sockets I found were no-name ordinary ones, not impact.
Mark Rand RTFM

Tim
King Dick make whitworth impact sockets.
Try this link
http://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/frm/frm_prod.htm
or
http://www.primetools.co.uk/index.php?page=products&cat=search
John
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:31:50 -0800 (PST), John

Thanks for that, I'll give them a try
Tim
Not to the point, but Shell petrol stations are currently doing tool kits for 10.99 with a lot of stuff in them, including to my surprise a line of small to medium Imperial sockets as well as the obvious Metric.
Worth a look & if nothing else, a cheap option to sling in the boot.
Regards,
Kim.

--

Regards,

Kim Siddorn
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:31:50 -0800 (PST), John

Placed an order for half a dozen sockets with primetools online Friday night, parcel arrived this morning. Short of one size which King Dick didn't have in stock, expected within a few days.
Thanks
Tim
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:13:18 +0000, Mark Rand

That could be woth knowing for the future. The present need for impact sockets is to speed up the job, rather than applying lots of heavy impact.
Thanks Tim

In that case, ordinary good quality thick walled sockets will probably do. When I worked in a motorcycle shop, only the thin walled snapon types split. We used them all the time to speed up repairs. larger sizes stood up to more than 350 foot pounds of impact when removing the compensator nuts of Harleys. If the nut stuck, it could take 500 foot pounds to break it loose.
Steve R.
writes

Alternatively, make an interference-fit reinforcing ring to press onto the outside of the socket - worked for me as the only way of undoing a 5/8" WW bolt on my vintage tractor.
--
Bob Unitt (UK)

Google "whitworth impact sockets" 6073 hits
Cheers Brian

Try http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/whitworth.htm
Probably best to phone him after you've looked at the site - he's friendly and helpful
Bob

I've used them too. Only once did I break a socket, it was a Kamasa 21mm (black pasivated finish rather than chrome) and it just split open along the North-South axis (sorry can't work out how to describe that better) Anyway, out with the stick welder and a nice heavy run of weld and it's been as good as new for the last 15 years :-)
Julian.