How to classify micro plastic part?

Do anybody tell me what is the definition of micro part? Is it classified by size or by weight? E.g. A product of 1mm in size can be
called micro part. Compare to it, a product of just 0.1mm is also called micro part. The processing method, however, may be totally different. So I think classification is necessary. But how to classify? Any website has such information? Thanks
I agree, it would be nice to have a definition. But because the term is rather new, I have a feeling that a precise definition has not been established. Sure, everyone is talking and writing about it, but I haven't seen a definition yet. They are even going further and discussing "nano molding", which I guess is smaller than "micro molding". I recently read an article where micro machining involved the use of cutters small than 1/4 inch in diameter. That's not very descriptive. There are a couple of links below you might explore, and I hope you will post any info you gather on the subject.
http://www.nano.gov / http://www.nist.gov /
--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS
Billy Hiebert wrote:

We have a micro molding process that yields about 7 parts per pellet of PET. It has a .007" dia x .020 deep blind hole in a .020" overall diameter.
Couldn't use hot runners, as the parts needed to be removed with the sprue or else we would lose them......
L Alpert wrote:

Sounds fascinating. Have you got pictures? And do you offer a definition for a micro
part? In an article by another molder, "Nanotechnology is 10 to the-9, but micromolding is serving the 10 to the -5 or -6 market at this time." I don't quite understand as there were no units of measurement mentioned.
--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS
Billy Hiebert wrote:

I'll see if I can get a picture of it with some point of reference. It took quite awhile to find someone that would even try it.
L Alpert wrote:

That would be great. A point of reference is always nice but as long as some dimensions
are given, it's not all that necessary. How about that definition? Care to take a stab at it? I know it's probably not that important, but an interesting challenge, especially for those of you who are actually producing "micro parts". I guess the rest of us are making "macro parts"? And how about those "nano parts"?
--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS
Billy Hiebert wrote:

I actually sent a cut out home from work, but it only came through as an OLE obj....
Well, any way... let me use my crude ansi drawing skills (almost as good as solidsworks...)...
|---------.050"--------| |---.020"---| ________ -----------| --------| ---------- | | | | .007" x .012" deep ------------| --------| ---------- --------------
Major OD is .0125", minor OD is .008"
L Alpert wrote:

Close enough! But if you do get a pic, send it on.
I found one molder who provides a definition of micro molding, sort of: "Although much debated, most define micro as less than 1/8 inch." The quote is from: http://www.miniaturetool.com They claim to have the "Smallest Micro Molded Component in the World!" "520 parts per plastic pellet!" They show it next to a penny but it is barely visible.
By the way, I have a cheap microscope which connects to the computer so you can produce pictures (jpegs). If you have an extra micro part laying around send it to me and I'd be happy to get you photo if you care to post it.
--
Billy Hiebert
HIEBERT SCULPTURE WORKS
Billy Hiebert wrote:

I should have a jpg somewhere in the plant. The tricky part of this was the blind hole........
Billy Hiebert wrote:

If you're working on the nano-light year scale, your parts are larger than many countries.
Dave Palmer
sf snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote in message

We (the ones that you call "they") are working on that classification scheme, but we are still struggling with the nomenclature scheme first. After all, poly vinyl alcohol implies that it is made by polymerizing vinyl alcohol (just try buying a 55 gallon drum of vinyl alcohol from Aldrich!) We still can't decide if we want to go with a final struture based system or a monomer system, even if the end points are the same (hydrogenated polyisoprene is the same as polyethylene-co-propylene).
After that's all worked out, then we have to work on polyesters, polyamides and all the other condensation polymers that are only named by the linkages with no regard at all to what's in between. (That's why a polyurethane can be a bowling ball, a soft foam and anything between the two.)
So please be patient. It's taken us nearly 100 years to get this far, but we are making progress.
John
I have got some information about the definition. Hope it will be helpful. Basically, the size of a part can be defined by its dimension or weight. If defined by its dimension, then a micro part should be at least one dimensional feature of less than 1mm. However, it does not make sense because many plastic part (e.g. plastic toys) have such dimensionl feature. So, it should be better to define a micro part by its weight. According to Battenfeld, a part can be called micro part if its weight is less than 0.1 gram. I think this definition is clear and make sense. Chris!