Mylar brand name buried?

I hear Mylar name has ben dropped from polyester products in favor of Melinex (Teijin Films). I can't find any evidence of this. It makes sense dropping one since there would be two general brand names for polyester film from one company. OTOH, Mylar is/was a household name.

Can anyone clear this up? Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnR66

Who knows what's going on. There is this joint venture:

've been out of DuPont a long time but they have been bailing out of the PET business. X-ray film plant (Mylar) at Brevard sold some time ago as well as Dacron plants. Someone predicted that the DuPont company of the future will be a rented office with a telephone and a temporary secretary ;( Frank

Reply to
Frank

Maybe their lawyers thought that "Mylar" was becoming generic, much like kleenex, aspirin, nylon...I know I've heard some awful abuses of the term coming from people without a polymers background.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

After losing nylon and neoprene, DuPont has been very diligent on pointing out proper trademark usage, e.g. an ad or company document must say "Mylar" polyester film. You cannot use the trademark by itself. Here, in a ng, no big deal but if someone asks a polymer question they should mention the polymer not just the trademark. I know of other merged groups that make the same material under different trademarks. One may be well known in Europe and other in US.

Reply to
Frank

I knew about nylon, but not neoprene.

I had all of the legal requirements drilled into me back in my 3M days (as you did in your Dupont days, I'm sure!), about how the tradename is always to be thought of as an adjective and not a noun: "Scotch Brand Masking Tape". The lawyers significantly delayed 3M in having a strong web presence because the marketers wanted to have

etc. as websites.

I notice that

is the actual URL, whereas the sites I mentioned above roll over to a page within
Is this a commentary about the relative strengths of the legal departments within the two companies?

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Hi John,

(I'm sure this was posted in jest, but...) I'd suspect its more about how each webmaster prefers to administer their online content. 3M lawyers are pure demons, or so I'm told :-)

Regards R. David Zopf Bomar Specialties Co.

Reply to
David Zopf