Paint Adhesion Measurement Problem

We are having a problem of paint adhesion. We have a red painted band around a nickel plated circular connector (used as a mating indicator) that is flaking off. Currently the only data we have is good/bad at the end of our process. Due to sample size issues, we are looking for a way to get measured data on paint adhesion. The band is only .050" wide, which seems to rule out pull-off adhesion testers or knife grid tape tests, the two common practices. Any suggestions? Even if we have to settle for a subjective scale, that would be of more help than binomial data.

Thanks

Reply to
mile1160

A Espinoza

It would help if you explained what you're trying to find out. The paint is "flaking." Under what conditions? Gravity? Some kind of stress or load? What do you want to know that you don't know now?

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

At the end of our process, we perform a simple tape test to ensure adhesion. Portions of the band will come off with the tape. Some are bad enough that portions of the band will "flake" or fall off with a fingernail test. Our process contains numerous chemical and thermal cycles.

Our outoing data shows there is a strong relationship between supplier and failure rate. But the interesting part is that the incoming data we've started to collect does not align with our outgoing data.

We would like to determine if we have an interaction, if so where, and if needed devise a testing method and limits for our suppliers. For this and anything else we decide to look at, we'd like to study it without huge sample sizes.

Reply to
mile1160

At the end of our process, we perform a simple tape test to ensure adhesion. Portions of the band will come off with the tape. Some are bad enough that portions of the band will "flake" or fall off with a fingernail test. Our process contains numerous chemical and thermal cycles.

Our outoing data shows there is a strong relationship between supplier and failure rate. But the interesting part is that the incoming data we've started to collect does not align with our outgoing data.

We would like to determine if we have an interaction, if so where, and if needed devise a testing method and limits for our suppliers. For this and anything else we decide to look at, we'd like to study it without huge sample sizes.

Reply to
mile1160

(given the general information provided)

- subject the piece to various environmental conditions in an environmental chamber (i.e. hot, cold, humid) - subject the sample to measured specific cycles of some type of impact or friction, i.e.for a crude example to get my point across - put the piece in a blender for 30 seconds and see how much paint is removed or rig up something a bit more sophisticiated.

you could measure the weight of the finished, painted piece then determine how much paint was removed after a given time period or you could evaluate the number (Counts) of surface where paint was affected.

Now, once you have an acceptable and established test, it's time for DOE. GOOD LUCK!

Reply to
shifty shaker

Have you tested for any residual contamination on the parts from the vendors process? Maybe one has technicians that use finger cots, and the other one doesn't. I'm not saying that it is that simple, but it sure would be nice. Where I am at, we went through gyrations in our clean room about hydrophilic coatings flaking off of catheters, and we finally isolated to a specific batch of nitrile gloves being used. I can't recall the specific contaminant, but it was from the manufacturers process.

Reply to
L Alpert