Photo-initiators

Quick question. I am using irgacure 651 to initiate some copolymerization reactions with UV light.

Where can I find the 'optimium' (overall rate of reaction and molecular mass of copolymer) initial concentration of irgacure for the following systems:

Styrene/Acrylonitrile Styrene/Butyl Acrylate Butyl Acrylate/Methyl Methacrylate.

Much obliged to anyone who can help.

Thank you

Reply to
Ian Wood

The simplest route is to run a ladder study for each. "Optimum" is a variable for different line conditions (bulb power, output, conveyor speed, coating thickness, ratios of above ingredients, etc). Check the resulting films for properties (MEK double rubs is pretty common) relevent to its end use.

You could also use a photo-DSC, and run your studies on the exothermic response to various PI concentrations... If you don't take the end-use conditions into account at some point, though, it only serves to narrow the window of PI concentration over which you must optimize your line.

Good luck, and give a call if you need some oligomers for those formulations...

R. David Zopf Technical Applications Bomar Specialties Company

860.379.7748
Reply to
David Zopf