PP 20 melt vs 35 melt

Can someone explain to me the differents between 20 melt PP and 35 melt? I've made some parts with 20 melt and they turned out great. But if I give the living hinge a twist she breaks. Would I get a non tearing living hinge with 35 melt?

Reply to
Rick Maston

In absence of other information, I have to assume that 20 melt means a melt flow of 20 g/10 minutes, and 35 melt means a melt flow of 35 g/10 minutes. In other words, the 20 melt flow flows less, that is, the 20 melt is more viscous than the 35 melt resin. Assuming similar molecular weight distribution for the two resin, the more viscous 20 melt flow should have a higher molecular weight than the 35 melt flow. Higher molecular weight resin of 20 melt flow is likely to be tougher than the lower molecular weight 35.

But, the above assumes that the two resins are identical in all respect except for melt flow (ask your resin supplier!). Furthermore, if your molding conditions are marginal, (not enough packing pressure, time, temperature) the 35 melt flow may give you better results than the 20 melt flow resin.

Is the hinge a proven design? Are there notches or other stress risers in the part? Your resin supplier may be able to provide you with known designs for hinges.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

If your hinges break already during their very first use, you may have chosen the wrong plastic and you ought to consider the use of H-POM instead of PP. If the hinge gets only used once during the lifetime of the part, a high-molecular (low MFI) grade of PP may eventually work, assuming the design of your part & hinge are correct, but if the hinge gets used frequently PP is perhaps not the right choise of material. With any plastic you must also assure that optimal molding conditions are used ...

"Rick Maston" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Thanks Ernie for the reply. The living hinge functions great.It's only when I twist it, then it fails. If I try to pull it straight apart it's very strong, like trying to snap twine. I think the design is good. A sales person told me that it would be more tear resistant if I ran 35 melt. There's no notching, she folds nicely. I even baked it at

160 degrees and the hinge didn't fail. Am I being to critical?
Reply to
Rick Maston