PVC and Calcium Carbonate

Fellow members, i ask you for wise tip. Im wondering what is easyiest and best way to determine amount of Calcium Carbonate (used as filler) in PVC material?

1) Maybe by measuring mass and density of product, and by knowing densities of pvc and CaCO3 u have calculate theire share? 2) Or by heating product over some temperature where pvc will degrade and then measure drie resdue? I think this method will need around 800 degrees celcius. 3) How CaCO3 affects MFI (Melt Flow Index) of PVC resin? 4) How CaCO3 affects Tg of PVC? If it afects then DSC can be used 2 ?

Looking forword for your answers so we can discus those methodes and relevance of the same :)

Regards

Bukum

Reply to
Bukum

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I'd go for 2) and determine the ash content at max. 800=B0C. Aragonite CaCo3 melts at 825=B0C. Calcit at 1339=B0C.

If you know exactly the densities for PVC (varies from 1,35-1,45g/cm3) and for Calcium Carbonate (varies from 2,71-2,83g/cm3) you can also estimate the CaCo3 content mathematically, but I guess ashing is more accurate.

DSC is also possible by determining the residue above the melting point of the filled PVC.

Reply to
RoWi

Ty RoWi, will go for option 2! I will post results and its accuracy as soon as i get results.

Reply to
Bukum