Silicon Sealant

I need to dilute silicon sealant to seal 0.5 to 1.0 mm gap,but I do not know what kind of solvent or thinner for dilute the silicon sealant,there is't any instruction written on the product.Can any person guide me in this matter,thanks Best regards

Reply to
mowhoong

Perhaps you need flowable grade silicone. There are many types available. The most common variety is "Windshield Sealing Grade" available at auto parts stores - under GE or Permatex Brand. These would be just about right for sealing the gaps you mention.

Thinning with solvent would cause shinkage as it leaves the joint - perhaps leading to a leak.

RT

Reply to
RThomp7367

Hi RTHomp The we had try the flowable grade silicon but result not what we expected, it must seepage in to fine crack line.

Reply to
mowhoong

The problem with sealing such a small gap is tolerance to temp changes. Say you have a 1mm gap and thermal effects cause it to expand to 2mm, you are asking for a 100% stretch of the sealant. A 5mm gap enlarging by 1mm is much more likely to remain sealed. Your sealant spec should tell you the tolerance it has.

alan

Reply to
alan