Winder tension controls

Has anyone in this group ever had any experience with controlling tension on a take-up winder using an inverter AC drive without using a dancer arm or load cell feedback. I am presently doing it with a DC drive(torque taper type) but have heard the AC drives are doing it now. This would be for winding a rope type material off an extrusion line, where the winder drive must have its shaft slow down as the diameter increases but must also have the torque increase as well due to the diameter change and maintaing tension. SEW say they can do it but will be a programming change for each product which is not what I want to do.Thanks to all whom reply.

Reply to
PAUL

I recently changed over a progressive DC drive dual shaft spooler with an AC vector marathon 1hp motor and a eurotherrm controller.

It seems like your exact application.

Reply to
L Alpert

Reply to
Bill

There is a master control for the line speed, and use the POT for the trim input. The controller will allow you to set it up anywhere from ±.1-100% trim authority based of the. On ours, we used ±15%, ans have a graduated 1 turn pot with a FPM scale on it.

It works flawlessly as a drop in for the progessive drive after some tuning to smooth it out (gain, integral, etc.).

Reply to
L Alpert