PVDF

HY ? need help with some data on PDVF. Where can I get market information on PDVF ? Does anyone know how much PDVF is produced, used and reprocessed per year worldwide (or in US, ?). Is that stuff very expensive ? Sorry if those are stupid questions and thank you for information! Steve

Reply to
steve webber

PVDF is made by 4 major producers in the world: AtoFina (Kynar), Solvay Solexis (Solef & Hylar), Dyneon (Dyneon PVDF) and Kureha (KF). Daikin makes a very small amount.

The world market of PVDF is about 25000 metric tons with pricing about

15 Euros/kg.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Sodium

I don't know anything about the market size or pricing for recycled PVDF.

I can comment on the recycling process. PVDF can be re-ground and re-extruded with some discoloration. Some PVDF grades will be reduced in molecular weight each time it is processed, but the majority of available grades are fairly consistent in melt viscosity through multiple extrusions.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on recycling PVDF. Good luck in your project.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Sodium

Someone listed AtoFina, Solvay Dyneon and Kureha as PVDF producers, but neglected to include a minor player called Ausimont, based in Thorofare, New Jersey.

Polymer Guy

Reply to
Polymer Guy

Solvay acquired Ausimont about 1 year ago. The newly merged fluoropolymer company is called Solvay Solexis. Actually, Ausimont was never a minor player in PVDF. In fact, they had about 50% of the PVDF coatings market (vs. AtoFina) which is probably about 10000 metric tons of the total PVDF market (the other part is the melt processable market for molded and extruded PVDF).

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Sodium

Just did a patent search on Solvay Solexis and found 25 hits. I know Solvay - they're a Belgian company and they're ruthless costcutters. I'd bet that 1 year from now there aren't too many of those inventors named on the patents around. Especially with Ausimont, since Solvay already has an operation based in the U.S. (Houston I think).

Art

Reply to
Art Form