Signal questions

Can you help a Brit out?
Where can I get some information on the types and meanings of Canadian and US signals. I'm particularly interested in the single lens type.
Also does anyone know where I can get some HO scale (working) models for my layout?
Thanx
--
Mike Hughes
A Google seaarch turned this up under "Railroad Signals"