Machining a forging

Hello all,

I have 2 parts that are mchined from a common forging. I modeled the forging without any internal holes and I made the part about .06 longer for machining.

How do I start modeling the machined drawing from the raw forging?

This way whenf the forging is revised, the changes are reflected in the machined drawings.

Thank you for ALL you help.

Reply to
1-2-3

Two models.

One for forging and one for the machined part.

On the drawing:

Label the forging "FROM" with reference dimensions.

Label the machined (finished) part "TO" with finished dimensions and tolerances.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress

There are two options for you.

1) The traditional method is to make an assembly, assemble the forging (or casting) into it with a Default constraint, and then start applying assembly-level cuts to remove the material. This is your as-machined part.

2) If you have the APX module, create a new part and add to it an Inheritance feature of the forging and proceed with cuts to create the finished part.

You can also do a Merge, but I haven't done that since Inheritance became available.

Regards

Reply to
peterbrown77

Only .06 longer? .125 to .25 is more typical (gets you under the scale and case hardened material where machining is necessary) YOu must be counting on die growth to compensate for mismatch (or these are very small parts!!)

This has been discussed, extensively, intensely a couple of times on this NG. It might be worthwhile checking this NG on Google Groups and searching on casting/forging/molding. Same Pro/e techniques apply to all three. As I recall, Brown gave a pretty detailed descripition of Inheritance Feature creation in an earlier discussion. (Hope I didn't attribute incorrectly)

This can be done but don't recall if it favors starting with finished part and adding material for rough cast or starting with rough and removing to show finished state. Anyone thought about the configuration management issues inherent in this process of morphing rough to finished product? in two flavors? or is this only a process consideration? New part nos. from rough to finish, process steps indicated with dash nos.? Thoughts and experience?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes