ProE or should I say Wirefire is not to Hot

It's too Late Bay Now it's Too Late Though you really did try an make it. WildFire has been caught in a torential downpour of SolidWorks users. On 35% conversion rate from ProE. Sounds like what come around goes around huh?

Maybe PTC should have been more interested in customer's complaints instead of their stock price. I am glad to demo ProE accounts because after 7 years of it I can tear holes in anything they can do. Just had a demo for 12 people who called us to relieve them of their agony from the Wildfire conversion.

Reply to
Daniel B. Nordeen

"WildFire has been caught in a torential downpour of SolidWorks users. On 35% conversion rate from ProE. Sounds like what come around goes around huh?"

I guess that 35% conversion rate does not include those that need the powerful surfacing that SolidWorks so badly lacks.

Did that 35% also like the spline control better in SolidWorks ? I have yet to see one post from someone who thinks that SolidWorks does a good job with splines. Why do you think this is ?

"Maybe PTC should have been more interested in customer's complaints instead of their stock price."

Maybe SolidWorks Corp. will be more interested when more mid-priced modelers become available in the second quarter of next year that make SolidWorks surfacing look like the bad joke it is.

"I am glad to demo ProE accounts because after 7 years of it I can tear holes in anything they can do."

How do you bullshit them when it comes to having the proper curvature and tangency control or do you only demo to those designing products that don't need a decent level of curvature and tangency control ?

"Just had a demo for 12 people who called us to relieve them of their agony from the Wildfire conversion."

Acme Solid Block Company ?

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Daniel,

I am very impressed with your computer skills after reading your post. My suggestion is that you write the code for a new MCAD package on your lunch hour that will "tear holes in anything" Pro/E OR SolidWorks can do!!! Then I will REALLY be impressed by you.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

Are all Solidworks salesmen as literate as you are? God help Dassault.

Reply to
Pete

And your point is........? I used to be a demo jock for a SW VAR and I made it a point not to bash other packages. If the package can't speak for itself you best be finding a different package to demo. By the way, I bet my dad can beat up your dad. :-)

Reply to
SWuser

I think the main issue for PTC users is whether the company can continue finanacially to take the losses. (100million this year alone). The software is good and can do some things that solidworks can't , but hopefully can in the future. I see PTC being bought by either Dassault or EDS in a year.

Reply to
Rocko

I think the main issue for PTC users is whether the company can continue

Reply to
Rocko

--snip-- > I think the main issue for PTC users is whether the company can continue > finanacially to take the losses. (100million this year alone). The software > is good and can do some things that solidworks can't , but hopefully can in > the future. I see PTC being bought by either Dassault or EDS in a year. >

--snip--

Im not saying its not possible, but I always find this idea amazing... What would Dassault or EDS get from a PTC buyout? Is any technology that PTC owns needed by the others?

In my opinion, PTC has itself shown that by buying up technology companies, you don't always get their customers to convert to your other suite of products, and now you must maintain additional and/or competing products. Add to that the possibility of pissing off these customers by not developing or discontinuing their products.

Secondly, as far as I know, Dassault does not have a native CATIA to SW converter. With Boeing being a major user of CATIA, and the deversified development and manufacture planned of the Boeing 7E7, you would think a major selling point of SW to small to medium machine shops would be the seamless transfer of data WITH FEATURES. These people are not likely to buy CATIA, but they may buy Pro-E, SE, UG, etc...

just my $.02

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

Sorry to enflame every ProE guy out there.

You are right you should not bash your competition. I do point out the differences though so they can be identified.

ProE does have useful tools but most people do not have the time to learn it to that depth or the pay for the in intial cost and yearly maintenance. I liked it until I learned how much more fun SolidWorks is to use on daily basis.

Here are some business related issues with PTC which indicate serious problems for their future.

Article #1 When it rains, it pours November 13, 2003 -- On October 20, U.S. District Court judge Morris Lasker refused to dismiss 11 of the 13 claims by Rand Worldwide (Toronto exchange symbol: RND.TO) in a $100 million lawsuit against Parametric Technology Corporation (Nasdaq symbol: PMTC). Rand's complaint, filed on May 30, 2003, charges PTC with fraud, breach of contract, unfair and deceptive trade practices, false advertising, injurious falsehood, interference with customer contractual relations, unfair competition, and misappropriation of confidential and proprietary information.

Article #2 Parametric woes continue as its rivals race ahead By Scott Kirsner, 11/17/2003

Compare that to Dick Harrison, chief executive of Parametric Technology Corp., in Needham. In October, after Harrison's company, Massachusetts' biggest stand-alone software firm, wrapped up its worst year ever, losing almost $100 million, Harrison's quote in the press release began, "We were pleased with our execution this quarter, as we met our revenue targets while implementing an aggressive cost reduction program." Quarterly losses were $38 million.

Reply to
Daniel B. Nordeen

Customer base. I believe PTC still has the largest market share.

Reply to
JJ