To mirror or not...

Wanted to post about a small matter in, what I would think applies across the board to any 3D modeling software, not just Solidworks, and that is the subject of "Mirroring". As a rule of thumb I try not to mirror when I can make it just as one surface. This holds true way back to my Alias days on SGI computers. But lately I have been hearing some conflicting theories and speculation about what exactly is going on behind the scenes with regards to SW.

If I think of a car body, and the way it would be deigned, the doors or items that has a specific left and right half will be ok by way of using a mirror. But the Hood, thee roof, the bumper...etc should produced with as much if a single surface as possible. Maybe this is a pet peeve of mine, but I can't stand broken surfaces if they don't have to be.

Getting rid of of line and arc segmets when possible by using a fit spline over it is one proposed method to keep surfaces cleaner. I have also seen some models where left 1/2 is done, mirrored over, and then recreate any surfaces that fall into the above category.

TIA

Reply to
Cadjunkie