Witness lines without dimension

Ok. So I have this 100ft power cord. well the accuracy required to
model the quick-connect fittings on the wire ends w.r.t. the cord
length is rediculous.
I would rather draw the cord as 10ft long... then in the drawing when
I do a broken view it doesn't really matter.
BUT the overall length in the drawing is wrong.
SW allows you to "cheat" and modify the dimension and write in a value
that you choose. Pro/e won't.... unless there is an option I'm
missing.
Can I put witness lines on a note?
What are my options.... not including a note that says "corld length
100ft"
Reply to
Aggrevated
In Properties for the actual dimension, go to the Text page. Where it = says @D, put in @O100 or whatever literal string you want the dimesion = to read. @O is "overwrite" such as they have much more conveniently and = obviously placed in the "inferior" AutoCAD.=20
David Janes
Reply to
Janes
Replacing the dimension text symbol @D with @O ("oh" vs. "zero") 100 will display "100" as the dimension text.
Reply to
gluteous maximus equus
"well the accuracy required to
Are you still using relative accuracy? This will make your model effectively useless for use in larger assemblies. set 'enamble absolute accuracy' to 'yes' in your config.pro file and model with absolute accuracy set to 0.01mm
I am given to understand absolute accuracy will be the default setting in WF5, so this sort of problem should go away.
Reply to
John.R.Wade
That's interesting. The shift in paradigm, factory recommendations, etc., I mean. For most practical purposes it can be made 'default' now by setting templates up in addition to enabling the config opt(s).
In addition to enable_..., there's also an option to set the default abs acc. If the option to use template files for imports is also set that should about cover the 'default' aspects. ... oh, there's also another for enabling in assy files, I think?
-gme cad monkey mesh monkey, too
Reply to
gluteous maximus equus
As you rightly say: you can set it up in your start part, along with a sensible default density (Most of what I make is steel) Once it's set, it will ignore your config.pro setting.
Reply to
John.R.Wade
As you rightly say: you can set it up in your start part, along with a sensible default density (Most of what I make is steel) Once it's set, it will ignore your config.pro setting.
_____________ Thanks for reminding me of a couple things I've been meaning to do with = the "Setup" stuff. Another possibility for inclusion in a start part is = setting up a default material which carries density and a bunch of = material properties with it. I've also been meaning to do a program that = asks for overall part size to set the size of the three datums so you're = not starting out in some ungainly large world with grotesquely large = numbers.
David Janes
Reply to
Janes
large numbers.
Yeah, that really irritates me. When you get it resolved... please share. I usually deal with parts no larger than 1ftx1ftx1ft, but Pro/e thinks I'm desiging bridges or something. On my first feature I'm always fighting the reletive accuracy crap.
Maybe I should just take everybody's advice about absolute accuracy and shut up.
Reply to
Aggrevated
grotesquely large numbers.
Well, I have it relatively resolved (meaning half-assed). There's a = couple similar techniques: 1) Since Wildfire you've been able to do 'Edit>Definition' on the = default datums, go to the Display page and check Adjust Outline by Size = or Reference. There's nothing to reference on the first datum, so adjust = the size to some number in your unit of measure (default is 508 of any = unit, no idea where this number comes from); do the rest as Reference to = this first datum. What makes this a little irritating is that even if = your part grows beyond the boundary of this set size, the datum = boundaries don't grow the way they normally do. But your first feature = does start out with more realistic numbers in a world scaled to your = needs. And relative accuracy is preserved, scaled to fit this world. 2) The other half-assed way I've used is to create a dummy first feature = in the start part, like a sketch on the first datum. It scales the world = to human size, but adds a questionable, confusing, apparently useless = feature to every model. At least the datum will adjust to subsequent = changes in model size and start you in a properly scaled world.
Best I've done, so far. The program I'm thinking about would probably = only modify the sketch dims and regen. Still, with a prompting question, = it might be of some value.
David Janes
Reply to
Janes
"> 2) The other half-assed way I've used is to create a dummy first feature in the start part, like a sketch on the first datum. It scales the world to human size, but adds a questionable, confusing, apparently useless feature to every model. At least the datum will adjust to subsequent changes in model size and start you in a properly scaled world."
This is the 'bounding box technique' which PTC used to suggest for getting merged parts to work pre rev 17. Basically, take a guess at how big your finished part will be, and as first feature, create a surface box big enough to contain it in your start part, then put it in a hidden layer. It forces parts with relative accuracy to use a common relative accuracy for every feature- a 'virtual' absolute accuracy - it used to be the only way to get complex castings with multiple cores to work. (unless you went outside the invisible box...) Nice to see you've ressurected it. I guess a default assumed part size (for zoom scaling empty parts) would be a nice to have.
Reply to
John.R.Wade