16F877 HPWM question

Hello Guys I have a 16F877 (20 MHz) that I want to control the speed of a 2-3amp DC motor using a MOSFET and PWM. I am using PIC Basic Pro. I
can control the speed of the motor by HPWM 0,16383,15000. I can change the speed of the motor by changing the 15000 up or down. The problem is that the motor has no torque. I can use a 555 PWM circuit and my motor/mosfet works fine. It seems the 16F877 produces to high of a frequency. Any suggestions? Thanks....