Controlling a small lathe with Arduino

-------------------------------------
I am trying to control the spindle-speed of a small lathe and would
appreciate any suggestions or advice. Have any of you done something
similar?
The lathe is very small though it is adequate for what I machine - steam
engines. I have replaced the motor with an ex-kitchen-processor motor,
which is brushed,and series-wound for 240-volts AC. The speed control is
of triac-type and is quite gutless at low speeds. Hence this project ...
My 'new' motor drive comprises 60 or 70-volts DC, released into the motor
by a MOSFET transistor in PWM bursts. For feedback, I have a holey disc
on the motor-shaft, viewed by an opto-interrupter. The pulses are
cleaned-up and integrated by capacitor to a speed-dependent voltage.
Having just acquired an Arduino Uno, it seemed like a good project to play
with. Basically, the Arduino compares the feedback-voltage with a
set-speed potentiometer and outputs PWM to the MOSFET. Hopefully, when a
load is applied at low-speed, the PWM bursts will be wider to apply more
power. Hopefully ...
I have been trying PID, based on a method by Tim Hirzel, but cannot
achieve a really smooth control throughout the speed-range - probably I am
missing something small-but-very-significant.
Can any of you help, please?
Geoff
Thailand
Delivered via
and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
comp.robotics.misc - 17034 messages and counting!
geoff_p
[...]
Reply to
geoff_p