Arduino

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

You're dating yourself, sir. <g>
--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

On 5/14/2015 11:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeabut - that led is the just the beginning, think of the possibilities...next, I'll blink TWO LEDs!

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

He rearranged them to change the meaning.

Won't that boil your blood?

No, I fixed it. Now it says: I saw, I conquered, I came.
--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Squinted? You're turning Japanese, I think you're turning Japanese, I really think so. Oh, were you making an elderly joke?
--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

    [ ... ]

    Not in the order which he has it. And it depends on the alternate English meaning of "came" to translate the same in Latin. I *don't* know Latin (except enough to recognize the warping of the traditional saying). :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

The way it is written is considered to be slang for I saw her and convinced her to have sex.
--
Steve W.

On Thu, 14 May 2015 23:01:00 -0400

What, no digital/pdf versions around so you can print your own, larger type version?
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:01:23 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:

My arduino came from Radio Shack's close out. I started with Blink, got a GRBL driver shield from China and found GRBL and EFL software to stream g-code to the arduino uno.
Just now it's sending 3D g-code from a huge down loaded file to test the setup. This is way outside anything I know about.
There are some better looking free programs out there but so far the Engineering For Less free program seems to work OK. I don't have to write arduino code with the EFL CNC software. It comes up on google.
No CNC machine yet, just 3 steppers and a 12 volt power supply twirling little paper tags. Great fun!

They're kind of fun once you get past the horrible software written by confused people they come with.
On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:03:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Mine didn't come with people. Perhaps the Chinese left something out of the box?
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I can fix it.
The IDE for arduino stuff is utter shit with a horrible user interface and awful default behavior.
On Fri, 15 May 2015 17:33:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

It crashes frequently too. But the bones are good- GCC is the underlying compiler.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 9:10:00 AM UTC-4, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I dunno, I use Arduino 1.6.0 (not the latest) on Windows 7 & 8.1, with notepad++ as the editor, and it just seems to work. Have not yet tried under linux, but I may be moving in that direction soon.
I'm not wild about having files stored all over the place - why are libraries being stored in my Documents directory? But I just plug it in and it goes.
For some other products, I just use the gcc tools directly, but for quick & dirty, and to avoid having to write device drivers from scratch, Arduino does save a bunch of time.
On 5/19/2015 9:55 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

Will you tell me a bit about some of your applications?
Tom Gardner wrote:

Actually, the Beagle Bone is a better deal. You get a full Linux system, with all the networking features available. It also has 2 200 MHz 32-bit microcontrollers that have about a dozen pins brought out for each, and shared memory to the Arm CPU. These are great for bit-banging odd protocols, generating step pulses or some other thing that isn't directly supported by on-chip peripherals.
I updated a laser photoplotter I built about 16 years ago, using a DMA card on the ISA bus, on a Windows 95 computer. Not only could the microcontroller emulate the DMA card, but it could also unpack run-length encoded data in real time. File sizes of 1000x1000 DPI raster images get big, so compessing them is really nice.
I've used various versions of the Beagles for network appliance devices before, and they are great. You can use Glade to develop the user interfaces graphically.
Jon
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

For mine, I bought some terminal boards that plug in the Arduino from Jameco Electronics. Also I bought a board with a LCD display and some buttons from Hobbypartz.com. Other boards have more capability in pure processing power, but the basic Arduino's work with 5V logic and have the chip in a socket, if you burn it up you can replace for ~$5 with the bootloader in place. The Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.
I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.
I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do in an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a mistake in the wiring.
RogerN

Roger, I played with PicBasic controllers for a while...
Seemed like a simple entry level control unit. How does these compare to arduino?