Anyone for a cardboard PC?

Cheers Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

Interesting. Would it pass RF emission standards?

I also notice that in the vertical orientation, the "This Way Up" icon is upside down :-)

Reply to
David Wilson

Lame.

1) It looks like a RFI problem waiting to happen.

2) A sheet-metal case is probably the most non-hazardous, easily recycled, environmentally friendly part of a PC.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The Prius-and-hessian-undergarment people who buy products like this don't care about functionality, nor are they susceptible to mere facts.

Reply to
larwe

=== rant follows ===

I know the kind you mean: there are always a few well-intentioned but underinformed greenies about. They can be quite entertaining if you know how to play them. The "leaded petrol is better for the environment" argument is always fun.

However, the preference for form over function is widespread, possibly even endemic:

Consider side windowed computer cases. These are obviously a good idea because they look cool. Who cares about RFI screening? I don't even know what that is so it can't be that important. I've only ever read two issues of PC Noob but neither of them even mention it.

Heatsinks are another area. As we all know the best finish for heat sinks is highly polished chrome. This is because it looks all shiny, hi-tech and new. Since it is the best finish for aesthetic reasons it follows that it must also be the best at radiating heat but in any case this is only a secondary reason for having the heatsink: its primary role is to look big and impressive.

Finally after spending a fortune on our hi-tech heatsink and three times as many fans as are needed, let's piss all our cooling efforts up against the wall. After all we need some lights in there to reflect nicely off all the shiny bits that cost so much and make the machine look cool. Who cares that as surely as night follows day all that light is going to eventually end up as additional heat.

Reply to
Andrew Smallshaw

The generation of unshielded RFI is actually a 'green' feature. If you want to listen to the radio, it reminds you to turn off the computer.

Reply to
Ben Bradley