Back and forth motor like a patter

Hello,
I am a computer professional but do not have hardware level experience except for assembly language programming. I did build something as an
academic project on a breadboard but that was long time back. Anyways, I am trying to make a motorized baby patter with speed and intensity settings. All I can think of right now is I need to get a motor for back and forth motion. Can anyone guide me about where to buy products and how to go about building such a system or any books on this topic?
Best Regards, Asra
I'd be tempted to try a vex robot kit. It'll be even better once they release the programming accessory in August.
http://www.vexrobotics.com /
asra snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com wrote:

I know there have been one or two baby dolls that do this. It might be useful to obtain one and take it apart. Another approach might be similar to the 6-legged insect-like robots that are commonly built.
Joe Dunfee
    --A little weird I grant, but for a good "primer" on back-and-forth motion producers try fuckingmachines.com, heh.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

An interesting book, worth browsing for ideas is:-
Brown, Henry T. 507 Mechanical Movements. Lindsay Publications Inc, Bradley IL. 1984 reprinted from 1868 edition.
It has over 100 pages of line diagrams and explanations.
I'd suggest #72, a drop hammer. It'd give four pats per revolution. ;-)
Do not try this at home, folks! Phil
--
snipped-for-privacy@internode.on.net
http://www.users.on.net/kempster /