cheap gears

Does anybody know where to find decent cheap plastic and metal gears (preferably someplace in North America)? Also, what are some secrets to
making a gearbox run quietly? Thanks.
Remove the NOSPAM in my email address to reply to my directly.

I think some shonky car dealers put banana skins in the gear box to reduce the noise : - )
Alternating between plastic and metal gears I think is also used.
Perhaps some grease? Maybe tension on the gears?

Light loads, the perfect separtion centre to centre, good solid shafts, ball races, helically cut teeth, and if it's your car differential that's making the noise, sawdust. Use grease only if you have power to spare and don't care about the losses.
best regards
Robin G Hewitt
Gearbox noise depends on the quality of the gears, how well they mesh, and how the gears are cut (helical, straight, etc). Cheap stuff is typically noisy, unless you get a good deal off of ebay. The quiet ones are typically made by a Swiss comapny such as ESCAP, SMOOVY, etc. But these are usually expensive.
You can try www.allelectroics.com, www.bgmicro.com, www.smallparts.com, www.solarbotics.com sometimes they sell gears and stuff on www.EBAY.com, It's popular to use the Tamiya motor gearbox sets, www.budgetrobotics.com, www.towerhobbies.com hav these too.

Alan Manning wrote:

If you want it to run quietly under load, don't use cheap gears.
If you want to understand gears, get a Boston Gear catalog and read the sections in the back.
                John Nagle